15 - Like A Date

At 4 PM, there was a knock on my door. I was almost expecting Eli to just walk in since he had just invited himself over. I opened the door, trying to look pleased to see him; however, my heart ached. Eli seemed easily happy and walked into my house, taking a seat on my couch.

I sat with him, however farther away than I would have ever sat before.

"That's awesome that you are already making so many sales, Betty!" Eli said with a grin on his face.

I smiled back, "yeah, it is. I am hoping to spread out my sales a bit more, so having one from this college girl is great!"

"I hope you have more sales from school," Eli replied. My eyes narrowed since I knew exactly why.

"So that more of your conquests can visit you at lunch?" My words came out a bit harsher than I intended. If Taylor had said the same thing, it would have come across as playful, but I just sounded jealous.

Eli was thrown off from my tone. His eyes scrunched as if he was trying to understand what was causing my mood. "What's wrong, Betty?"

What's wrong? Maybe the fact that I like you and you don't feel the same way. Or you keep giving me signals that MAYBE just maybe you feel the same way, and then I guess I am stupid for completely misreading the situation.

I wanted to scream all that, but I stayed silent, choosing to shrug. "I have to pack up the clothes," I said, getting up to head to my room. I half expected Eli to stay on the couch, but he got up, following me up the stairs.

I had not packed the clothes for this girl yet because she still had been choosing between two shirts for the last day. A few hours ago, she had decided to get both.

I stopped at my bedroom door. Eli was directly behind me. "I am excited to see your room!" Eli said, honestly. He was probably talking about the vintage furniture that we had around our house, but I will admit, but my heart still raced at his comment.

I scoffed, mad at myself. I opened my door, stomping over to my packaging and the clothing laid out on top of my dresser.

Eli sighed, following closely behind me. "Seriously, Betty, what's wrong? Did I do something?"

I almost screamed. He had no idea. I thought I was so obvious. Everyone else seemed to understand what had been bugging me for the past few weeks - really since I'd laid eyes on Eli.

I didn't answer him.

"Jeez, Betty! You're no fun! Do you want me to go?" he asked me.

"Why don't you just head over to Jessa's? You would probably have a lot more fun with her." I winced at my own words.

I honestly did not mean for the words to come out. I comically slapped my palm across my lips and turned towards Eli, feeling embarrassment course through my body.

"So THAT is what this is about! You're still upset about my reputation! Betty, I promise you I never just throw girls away. Despite what people say, I am not like that. Every girl I have ever slept with has initiated it, and I don't lead anyone on! I thought I had proved to you that I am different from what people think of me... mostly."

I almost cried at his words. Great, so he is just letting me know precisely how many girls want him. He has so many options better than me. "This is not about your conquests Eli!" I sat on the side of my bed, my legs dangling. "Just drop it, Eli, I am fine."

I looked down at my phone. We still had over half an hour before we should leave to go to the girl's house.

When I looked up, Eli was standing much closer than he had been before. He looked concerned and uneasy.