Chapter 4- Test

"BREAK TIME!" Shouts Ms. Fangtooth as I pin Ethan under me.

Of course, she can't show that her strongest student is beaten by a free-runner!

Ethan smirks at my out-of-breath state, "You've got delicious blood, runner." He slowly licks his lip of my blood in a seductive, challenging matter.

I glare at him, still trying to catch my breath, "We can't. All. Be vampires. Who don't. Need. To breathe...."

Cocky vampire.

His smirk deepens as I stand up. My hand grabs my neck where the fang bite was. Yes, Ethan decided to bite me, as if we were toddlers! The familiar warmth spreads through my neck and travels through my body to heal all my cuts and bruises. I moan and roll my neck. The fang scars, however, don't heal. Sighing, I hop off the cushioned arena and over to Anna.

"OMG! OMG! OMG! You actually fought well! Though probably won't survive the next round, but still!" shrieks Anna.

I smile, walking over to her, "I hope the students enjoyed the good fight."
She giggled, "You actually passed the secret test...."
"What?" I ask, looking closely at her.

She quickly blushes and turns away. "Anna, I'm still waiting." I say in a sing-song-y voice.
"Okay! Okay! I'll tell you," she whispers, and then giggles, "The secret test was to see who would stand up against the teacher to fight for the pureblood position. Purebloods always stand up for what's right. And you did! Even against bad odds. This last part was to see if you had enough fighting ability to match one of us. Which you did, but the next part ----"

"Anna!" Shouts Ethan. She instantly blushes, "I can't tell you more."
A deep voice smirks from behind me, "Careful Anna, don't want to ruin the surprise for our little runner here."

I freeze as Ethan's warm fingers gently travel my neck and stop at where he bit me. My heart speeds up slightly as his warm fingers drum against the mark. A heat washes over me from the broad chest of the person behind me.

Ethan's lips touch his bite. His tongue quickly makes a dash out, touching my skin and the mark. The warm wetness sparks butterflies in my stomach. I shiver, feeling my heart speed up even more.
"No! Stop it heart!" I mentally scream at myself.
Ethan chuckles darkly, pulling away, "I don't think your heart can stop even if it wanted to."

I turn to face him, my eyes scanning his face for any sign of clues. I catch his brilliant blue eyes and gasp.

"You are reading my mind!" I scream inside my head.
Ethan replies smugly, "Very good, runner. But please, lower your voice"
I mentally cuss, looking away.

"Tut tut tut, you shouldn't cuss Runner, it's disrespectful."
I glare at Ethan, crossing my arms. "If it's so disrespectful, then why are you still listening!?" I mentally respond.
Ethan grins as Ms. Fangtooth shouts, "Back onto the fighting floor, you two!"

Taking my position onto the floor I begin my evaluations of Ethan again. His weight is too much to one side, I could use that.

Ethan shifts, his weight now equal on both feet.

"Have you forgotten something?" Ethan asks, his deep voice echoing in my head. I picture him mentally smirking though on the outside, he was acting serious.
"Get out!" I shout back, noticing how my evaluation ideas have just been destroyed.

The whistle blows and he attacks. I dodge to my left, missing his fist by an inch.
He grins, "My turn runner."

In less than an eye blink, I am somehow pinned under him. He holds my hands above my head and his blue eyes hold mine. I forget how to breathe for a second.

God, he was sooooo good looking. Ew what?! You are fighting, you idiot!

Ethan brings my hands into one of his hand while his other warm hand traveling down my curves. I squirm, what is he doing?! And why am I reaction positively!?!!

His hand lifts my shirt slightly, exposing skin, and causing a snarl to erupt from me. His hand levitates on my stomach, causing heat to explode from his touch. My heart raced, my breath grows heavy, my eyes widening from horror.
He bends down, whispering in my ear, "This can happen in real fights. If you get captured that is," My breath hitches, understanding what he is planning to do.

His hand runs up my shirt, and almost reaches my bra. My animal quickly takes over my body. I hiss, my eyes turning blue. I manage to elbow away his hand from going any higher. Ethan grins, removing his hand from under my shirt to hold my down my two hands separately again. I squirm more; using my shoulders and the strength my animal was giving to help me. With my blood pressure rising, I allow myself to use some hidden strength. Even if I don't get into pure bloods, I will not completely show my other side!

"What other side? I want to know!" Ethan whines in my head.
I snarl back, "You'll never know!"

Snapping my leg up, I manage to kick Ethan in his thigh, causing a slight wince to appear on his perfect features. That's all I needed. Quickly pulling my body down towards my center, I manage to escape his grip. I roll over, dogging his hands, and jumping up. My eyes scan the perimeter. They land on the objects hanging from the roof.

Perfect.

"I'm not done with you yet Runner!" shouts Ethan as I feel my breath quicken.
Using the extra strength in my legs I zoom past the awed faces.

"Go Kateeeee!!!!" I hear Anna shout as I look around for a path.
"WHOOSH!" Ethan's face appears in front of me.
"Eeek!" I screech jumping up from fright, and landing on his shoulders.
His hands make a grab for me but miss me by an inch. I was already climbing onto one of the handle bars.

"You won't last long up there Runner!" He taunts, easily throwing himself on an object opposite from me. I keep moving, jumping from bar to bar to rope to object to bar again. Ethan, of course, closely following at my heels.

"Ms. Fangtooth!" I shout down, kicking off the bar and grabbing a rope. My hands burned as I slide slightly.

"What do you want Kate?"
"I want the challenge to stop!" I screech, jumping onto another rope as Ethan leaped for me.

"You want to quit? Pure bloods would never do that!"
"Well I'm not a pure blood! I actually have been fighting for my life for the last five years! Woah!" I duck, Ethan flying by me, "One thing I learned is if you know are going to lose the fight, you stop the fight! Either by disappearing, or in this 'nice community', eek!" I jump grabbing a pipe from the ceiling and swinging off of it, landing on a hanging piece of wood. My hands burned from all the swinging, and my breath was all but lost. I start to feel light-headed. "Since it is a nice community, I wish to stop the fight!" I pant.

I leap off the wood, front flipping to land on another hanging bar, just above the object that Ethan was on.
Ms. Fangtooth grins, "Then why are you still fighting?"
I shout back, grunting as I drop, punching Ethan in the stomach, and sending him flying to a bar below us.
"Because you never stop fighting back until you know that you'll escape freely or win!" I snarl, flipping off the bar and landing a kick into Ethan's chest. My world goes into slow motion as Ethan is pushed away toward the ground. I feel the last of my breath leave me and I stagger against the bar. I blink a few times, my vision blurry. My lightheadedness finally gets to me. My body topples over and begins its fall toward the ground.

My eyes close and I allow myself to fall into a peaceful darkness, and to the 15-feet-away floor.