23. B A X

Today was Lucy's twelve week scan, and I was sat at the kitchen island with my leg jiggling up and down while I squeezed the corner of my lip between my index finger and thumb. My eyes were on the strawberry jam toast in front of me, but my head was on Lucy. All I could see was Lucy at the scan screaming at me for turning up without her knowing.

"Whatcha thinking?" Liam strolled over to me, leaning down on the kitchen island.

"Not really sure." It was partially true, because I was thinking about Lucy but I was also trying to make a decision on whether I should actually go today.

Snorting, he replied, "Yeah right, I know what you're thinking about."

I looked over to him to see him eyeing me with a smirk.

"Just leave it." I scolded him.

He froze, stared at me, then pushed off the island aggressively before throwing a piece of fruit at me.

"Ow! What are you doing?!" Yelling, I stood up super quick and my chair fell backwards. He made me jump, but he also pissed me off.

"Get your head together! I know you are thinking about her and I know you're reconsidering not going. Well I've got news for you, you are going!"

I don't think I've ever seen Liam look so pissed at me. His eyes were wide with frustration, and his whole body was tense. I could see him grinding his teeth as he stood glaring at me.

"Now go get fucking ready, will ya." He turned his back, and hung his head. Why was this getting to him so much?

Without a word, I stormed off upstairs to get ready. He was right, but I wasn't about to admit it to him. I also had no idea what rattled his cage so much, but I was determined to find out.

What did one wear to a baby scan they wasn't invited to? A smart shirt? A tie? A full suit? Or just a casual T-shirt and jeans?

I had my hands on my hips as I scanned the wardrobe for what to wear. I was hoping that my eyes would fall on something, and I'd instantly know that was the one. Like I'd see a T-shirt and my brain would be like 'boom! That one!' But that didn't happen. Instead I stood for over ten minutes rummaging through my shirts.

"Need help?" A gentle knock came from the bedroom door, and Liam was stood smirking at me while leaning against the door frame.

I hung my head and shut my eyes in embarrassment. I was a man, since when did men care so much about what to wear?

"I think I'm losing the plot." I chuckled as I finally looked up at him.

"Mmm, yeah. You are." Shrugging, he walked over to the wardrobe and chucked a pair of cream shorts at me with a grey polo.

"You don't need to worry about what to wear, but it is June so I'd recommend shorts." He walked backwards out the room laughing and I felt like an idiot.

As soon as I was dressed a text came through from Melissa. We didn't really speak considering we were close to becoming husband and wife, but when we did it was always to do with the wedding.

Last week she texted me a picture of a pair of shoes she wanted. They were around three thousand pounds, and I didn't care. Today it read, 'Daddy wants to discuss a date. Be round in an hour x'