37. B A X

"So please explain to me how this works. Will her memory return? Will she be like this forever? I don't get it. I-" I raked my hand through my hair as I sat through a medical board meeting with the doctor and another professional. Apparently, he was an expert of the brain.

The thought of her memory not returning was knocking me sick. It was also agonising to watch her suffer. She says she can feel something when she's around me and Angel, she knows we're important to her, but she can't place how. She's cried more than ever too, since she's woke up. I just can't bare to see her hurting.

"Mr Baxter, we understand how stressful this is for you and we wish we were discussing better news. But right now we need to focus on how we can enhance the possibilities of her memory returning. For example, taking her to the first place you met or if there's a special place you both have."

I nodded. I imagined taking her to the club we met at and hesitated. If she couldn't remember, she might think I'm a dick for taking her home. She might even think I took advantage, seduced her in some way. The fear crept inside me, encouraging images of Lucy running away or refusing to talk to me. She was just as scared as I was - in fact more - I didn't want to scare her anymore than that.

"Have you asked about any other family members? Friends? We can get a picture of how many years she's lost from what and who she knows." The second doctor explained. He was grey, old and clearly good at his job.

"No, I haven't. She hasn't spoken as much as I'd like actually."

"Thats understandable, we'll complete an MRI scan to see where the damage is. You may go back to Miss Partridge and that beautiful baby of yours." He smiled, dismissing me. I couldn't wait to leave that room. I needed air.

I made my way outside, avoiding everyone's gaze so they couldn't see how weak and destroyed I was inside. I felt broken. The love and happiness I was excited to see in Lucy's eyes when she woke up, wasn't there. I felt lost without that look, something was missing. She was missing. It wasn't her.

"Hey." I looked up to see Liam standing with a bouquet of flowers. "I know you didn't want visitors, but you need a friend and I'm here."

I took one look at him and had to force myself not to cry. The least manliest thing was threatening to take over and it was all because I was finally faced with someone I could talk to. Liam has always been there for me and right now I needed him. More than ever.

"Mate, I'm so sorry." He came closer and I felt the tears getting nearer too.

"I don't know what to do." They fell slowly down my cheeks and I felt extremely weak. I'd held this in for weeks.

"You just need to be there for her." He gave me a small hug, then motioned towards the bench on the other side.

I'd text him updates each day, informing him of Lucy's status and any changes, but this was the first time he'd visited. He knew when I needed space, but he also knew when I needed someone and refused to accept it. He was a great friend to have.

"You going to let me meet this beautiful little girl of yours?" He asked, smiling.

I smiled myself. Angel's sweet face appeared in my head and pride filled me. She was perfect in every way possible, and she was mine.

"We'll go inside in a minute, I just need the air. You know?"

He exhaled, "I do."

We sat in silence for ten minutes, absorbing the fresh air. I really did need this, that when I finally got up to face my problems again, I felt ready.

"Let's introduce you to Angel then." I walked towards the entrance.

"Angel, huh? I love it."

Another rush of pride hit me. It was a beautiful name and fit her perfectly.

"I warn you, she may not remember you." I winced at the reminder. "But it should be okay once I explain."

He nodded, following me into the room, where we heard Lucy having a private chat with Angel.

"So, I've been told I carried you for nine whole months. You? A beautiful little baby with the same eyes as me." She smiled. "Your daddy tells me you've missed me, well I'm here now. I'll always be here."

For the first time in the past twenty four hours, I smiled. A genuine, happy smile. As soon as I was told her memory had disappeared, I worried she wouldn't love Angel the way I did or wouldn't become as attached. Through the whole of the pregnancy I had no doubts she would love our baby, but yesterday I did. Doubts I didn't want to have.

"Oh!" She jumped slightly, but was still smiling. "I didn't see you." I could see her studying Liam, her eyes roaming across his face.

"It's okay, you probably don't remember me. I'm Liam, Bax's friend and lawyer." He reached out to shake her hand. She hesitated initially, but eventually took it. It hurt to see her so wary of people she knew so well.

"Mr Baxter?" A police officer knocked the door, making Lucy's eyes widen. "Can we talk please?"

"Of course." I looked over to Lucy. "I'll be back in a minute, is it okay for Liam to stay with you?"

She held Angel tighter, looking completely frightened.

"Baby, he won't hurt you. I promise." I walked over to her, cuddling her close.

"It's not that. Why are the police here?" The fear in her eyes shone past the usual gorgeous, chocolate brown.

"It's about the shooting baby, that's all."

She was still scared. I felt hopeless.

"You promise you'll tell me about it?"

"Yes, I promise." I kissed her temple, then kissed Angels before leaving.

We strolled down the corridor towards a private room. The officer didn't speak and neither did I.

"Mr Baxter, detective Walker." I shook hands with the same female officer I met previously, before sitting opposite her.

"Me and detective Orin looked into possible enemies. You mentioned a Mr Marvin?"

I nodded, intrigued as to where this was going.

"We haven't seemed to locate him or his daughter, strangely. However, DNA found at the scene from the tyre marks has been linked to a car in Mr Marvins name-"

"Bastard!" I yelled, slamming my fist on the table. It shook and so did she.

"Mr Baxter, you need to calm down!"

"How can I? My girlfriend doesn't remember carrying her own baby! She doesn't remember me! Because that selfish bastard shot her. All because I wouldn't marry his daughter." I dropped my head into my hands and sobbed. Why did he do this? He'd ruined her enough taking her job, now this? What was wrong with him?

"I'll leave you for a while before we discuss anymore. You need to stay strong and alert Mr Baxter. He could return." she patted me on the back and left me on my own in the small room.

I finally lost it. I punched the desk in front of me and screamed. Fuck who could hear me. I needed to let out all this frustration. I couldn't cope anymore.