𝟏𝟔.

The Wheeler Residence | Mon 7:46 AM
Will Byers

After a weekend of replaying the events of the dance in his head, Will woke up to the sound of his alarm in his ear. He hadn't talked to Mike all weekend and the distance was killing him inside. Mike was still a really good friend to him, even if he didn't feel what Will felt when he looked at him.

He groaned while wiping his eyes and getting out of bed, being up a little bit earlier than usual. He went straight to the bathroom to take care of his business and then, looked in the mirror at himself. He observed the Bags under his eyes and the thought of getting some more sleep was tempting, but was overshadowed by Will's determination to make things right with Mike.

Before continuing his morning routine, he stopped and looked down at the counter that was covered with Joyce's various makeup products. He picked up a red lipstick that looked old and very used and stared at himself in the mirror again. He moved the lipstick closer to his face as if he was going to put it on, but then quickly put it down once he realized what he was doing and shook the thoughts away.

After getting dressed and taking care of his oral hygiene, Will left the quiet house, grabbing his coat on the way out. Now that September had rolled around, it was starting to get colder in Hawkins, much to Will's dismay. He liked it warm and hated the sharp pain he felt on his cheeks when wind brushed near them. He picked up his freezing bike off the ground and began pedaling to his destination.

"The last house on the left." he repeated to himself while trying to navigate through Mike's neighborhood without getting lost. He stopped when he saw Karen already in the car, warming it up for her kids.

"Hey Mrs.Wheeler!" Will said while waving to the woman.

"Hi, Will! Mike will be out in a little bit." She said while walking back into the house to go get Holly.

Will waited on the curb for a couple minutes until the ravenette finally emerged from the house. Mike's face lit up when he saw Will and he happily jogged towards him while gripping one of his book bag straps.

"What are you doing here?" He asked with a wide smile on his face.

"Thought I'd give you a lift to school until you get your bike." Will replied, recalling their earlier conversation. Will scooted forward and Mike hopped on, gripping Will's shoulders as they rode away.

"I really like your outfit today, that color looks good on you." Mike leaned forward and said into Will's ear.

Today Will wore a red plaid button-up underneath a jacket with black cuffed jeans. The plainest outfit in Will's wardrobe. Wills cheeks somehow got rosier than they already were and he was fighting back a grin. He'd never get used to Mike complimenting him, it still felt very strange. He said, "Thanks, Mike." and the two rode off into the sunrise.

***

After a long day at school and only 5 hours of sleep, Will was ready to go in his house and lay down. Instead, when he opened the door he was met with the face of his brother, who he hadn't seen in a couple of weeks.

"Jonathan!" Will said happily.

The two hugged each other tightly and went to Will's room to talk, as to not disturb Lonnie who was passed out on the couch. Will closed the door behind them and Jon sat on the bed before they began their conversation.

"How've you been Jon?"

"College has been pretty easy so far and...I'm seeing someone."

"Oooo, what's his name?" Will asked.

That's right. Lonnie had two gay sons.

"Steve Harrington."

Will's jaw dropped at that answer. He had seen Steve around the Wheelers house with Nancy, and Mike told him that they were dating. Will became internally conflicted. Does he tell Jonathan the truth and break his heart or does he lie and let Steve get away with this? Will chose the ladder of course, hating anything to do with confrontation. Maybe he and Mike could find a way to get the truth out of him another way.

After Jon left to go back to his dorm, Will went straight to his room to write in his man journal. He hadn't wrote in it for nearly 2 weeks, and not because he didn't have anything to talk about. Will had been living out his life and dealing with his emotions on his own. The book was always just a coping mechanism he used when he wanted to speak but felt no one would listen. At least now he has a new friend to confide in.

Except there was one thing Will didn't feel comfortable talking to Mike about, and that was Lonnie. The other day, Mike asked a question that struck Will and gave him the urge to write. He had asked why the smaller boy didn't watch him on the bleachers anymore. After getting over the initial shock that he even cared, Will struggled to answer this question truthfully.

The reason why Will no longer sat outside was because of his fathers reaction to him coming home an hour late. Lonnie didn't even really care about Will's safety, he more so would just find reasons to get mad. What's worse is that everything happens when he's drunk, so he'd barely remember the hurt he caused Will the next day. Instead of telling Mike everything so that he could possibly help him through it, Will kept it to himself and relied on his journal to keep him comfort, like he had for years now and prayed that one day that would change.

To be continued...

Honestly what even is this chapter? Next one will be better I promise
— Vaeh Joi

[7/4/20 | 1001 words]