𝟏𝟖.

Hawkins High | Mon 8:02 AM
Will Byers

Today, Will wasn't in the best of moods. Last night's argument didn't go to well and Joyce ended up staying at a motel for the night, leaving Lonnie to take the rest of his anger out on Will. He was wearing a hoodie to cover up any bruises that were still left on his body, being completely sore. Will walked into school while lazily gripping his backpack straps and walking to his locker. While unpacking his things, he heard some little whispers coming from some of the students, and turned his head to see the cause of the commotion.

He saw an unpleasant sight.

Mike and Jane Hopper were walking hand in hand down the hall and flaunting their couple status to everyone nearby. Will felt a sting in his body, like a fresh wound drowned in alcohol. A painful lump formed in his throat and he was convinced that his heart was no longer beating. Why must this happen today of all days? This was all too much for him to handle.

Will slammed his locker shut and ran to the bathroom, feeling the air getting thinner with each step. He went to the first stall and sat on the toilet. Will didn't feel comfortable enough to cry and because he feared that anyone could walk in at any moment. He knew the lump in his throat wouldn't go away silently. He pulled out the only thing that could possibly make him feel any better, which was his man journal. He took out a pen and began to paint many painful words onto a blank canvas.

Dear Journal,

I've made many mistakes in the last few weeks. Mistake #1 was having a crush on a straight guy and Mistake #2 is now having a crush on a straight guy with a girlfriend. How am I supposed to compete with a girl! Especially Jane Hopper! She's gorgeous!

As the words began to spill out, Will could feel himself relaxing a bit and eventually he was in a calm state. He ignored the first bell and read over everything he had written. Once he was finished, he felt like he was stupid for thinking he ever had a chance with Mike, and that he's getting mad for no reason essentially. He broke his own heart.

Sometimes it felt like Mike was purposefully flirting with him, meaning that he might also have feelings for Will, but looking back, it was probably just a joke that flew over Will's head. But with that being said, why should he be depressed? He should be happy that he knows it wasn't real before he got too attached. The universe was doing him a solid for once.

With a new state of mind, Will left the stall and stuffed his man journal back into his satchel, being happy that he carries it around with him everywhere. He came out of the bathroom and went to his homeroom before the second bell rang and deemed him late.

After class, Will still hadn't forgotten about Jane and Mike. As a matter of fact, he'd been thinking about them the whole time. When he left, he once again went to his locker to prepare for second period. Mike was also at his locker, his back facing Will. Will turned his head to look at what he couldn't have until Troy, the devil himself interrupted him with a shove into a locker.

"Are you tryna get a peak at Wheeler faggot?" Troy spoke, his words sounding a bit harsher today.

"Piss off Troy before I get Dustin to kick your ass again!" Will said, not being able to hold back anymore.

"What did you say to me?" Troy said while shoving him harder.

"Me being gay has nothing to do with you or your sad life, so leave me alone and don't put your hands on me." Will said while pushing Troy's hand off of him.