Chapter 5: An adventure beckons

"No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time."
~ Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do we really need to do this?" Blue asked, nervously glancing at the door that led to doom—oh, uh, Warren, she meant Warren! (Besides, Blue didn't doubt there was probably another guy named Doom.)

As Sherry stood up on her tiptoes to ring the bell, cursing her short child's legs, Miracle grabbed her hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Do not worry, Blue, my Blue," Miracle said, smiling his dimpled simple, even though it didn't reach his eyes. "You're my friend and I would never let anything happen to you."

Blue flushed slightly. "I can very well protect myself but thanks for the offer."

Miracle chuckled. "Of course, you can."

"Who's there?" called Warren's grumpy voice. It came out muffled but Blue already felt a shiver of fear run down her spine. She wished she had brought Timmy with her.

"It's me, Warren! Open up!" Sherry yelled impatiently.

There were the sound of footsteps and a lock unbolting before the door swung open and Warren's head popped out. He started to smile at Sherry before noticing Miracle and Blue.

He frowned. "What are they doing here?"

"They're here to help," Sherry answered.

He snorted. "Even her?"

Blue wished she could stare him down defiantly and say, "Yes, me!" but she...couldn't. So, what if she now knew the real reason they kept bothering and humiliating her? That didn't change the fact that she had to lock herself in her room and cry out those tears she couldn't spill on her school. It didn't change the fact that she had to nurse her bleeding arms every other day. Why would anybody go to such lengths in bullying a child just to grab someone's attention?

Maybe some people really couldn't help their nature.

"Yes, her," Miracle said with the defiance Blue lacked. "Now, let us in!"

Warren rolled his eyes and signaled them inside. Blue stepped inside the hallway and immediately felt the heavy silence in the house. There was only the sound of their tread against the creaking wood floor and that tittering noise that came at the absence of sound.

The house seemed...lonely, Blue thought.

"He stays alone?" Blue asked Miracle in a whisper. "Is a twelve-year-old allowed to do that?"

"I'm not really a twelve-year-old," came Warren's voice as he led them to the sitting room. "Is that concept so hard to grasp?"

"Yes, actually," muttered Blue.

As the four of them settled themselves in the motley group of couches stacked together in the small drawing room, a brief silence ensued, each waiting for the other to speak.

"So," Warren began hesitantly. "I suppose you all know what's going on by now, about the disappearances and the resulting consequences that would soon come if we don't act now."

Miracle nodded. "That's exactly why we're here. We need to figure out who's behind it all."

"And why they would do something like this," Sherry said.

"But I thought nobody even knew about your existence," Blue added, thoughtfully. "So, how would anybody kidnap you people?"

"Or kill," Warren added, nonchalantly.