Chapter 33: Terrible puns lead to death

"You've a good heart. Sometimes that's enough to see you safe wherever you go. But mostly, it's not."

~ Neil Gaiman (Neverwhere)

~~~~~~~ 

Goodness! Blue screeched inside her mind. What the hell do I do?

Language, Goodness reprimanded. What? One day of fighting and you're ready to start cursing—

Stop it! Blue cried, a headache traipsing through her head. This is no time to show your sass!

Blue didn't care that she was being flat out rude. To an ancient deity, no less. Tears blurred her vision as she willed Miracle to get up. But, no, he stayed limp on the floor.

Get up, Miracle, please, Blue prayed. Yet, his eyes remained closed.

Evil seemed to realise it too because he huffed out a relieved breath. "Well, now that's done, at least," he said, brushing off his fingers on his coat. "One inconvenience removed."

He stepped away from Miracle's unconscious body–Blue refused to entertain the alternative option–and approached the pair of mother and daughter. Rita's sweaty hands clamped down on Blue's shoulder. "Blue, who is this man?" Rita asked again urgently while Evil took his time to advance towards them, limping slightly from his knife wound. "I need to know i-if he's Markus. If he's your...father."

Blue didn't know what to say to that. "He is and he...isn't." That was the best, and most frank, answer Blue could come up with. "But don't worry," Blue quickly added. "I won't let him harm you, Ma."

Rita's face looked torn between terror and amusement.

"Is that so, Blue?" Evil asked, catching her last words. "Tell me, little girl, what exactly are you going to do to defeat me?"

Blue stepped towards Evil. Her hands formed into fists as she spat, "I will summon Goodness!"

Evil let out a mocking gasp. "Oh no!" he said dramatically. "Not Goodness! Such strife for me! I'm quaking!"

Pausing from his theatrics, he bent down towards Blue's height and said in a deep, low voice, "Do that, Blue, go ahead. You silly girl, you still haven't understood, have you? I'm here for Goodness. And, of course, if you want to make this easy for me and summon her yourself, I truly would owe you. And guess what? I'll even give you a chocolate as a reward, eh?"

Blue's nose pinched in anger.

Goodness, Blue called, not caring about the consequences.

Yes? Goodness answered hesitantly, perhaps sensing her plan.

Take control of me. Defeat him, Blue ordered, as calmly as she could.

Goodness was alarmed. But Blue

Do it! Blue snapped. I can handle it!

It isn't just about you, Goodness warned. If he and I were to truly battle one on one, there is no guarantee that I would win, much as it pains me to admit it. I'm neither invincible nor infallible. But even if I do somehow manage to subdue him, I cannot promise that your father or you will emerge out of this unharmed.

Blue swallowed, closing her eyes. But she would not hesitate anymore. She was long past that.

Do it, Blue said one last time.

"What is it?" Evil asked. "Having an internal...crisis, dear Blue?"

Except it wasn't really Blue anymore. When she opened her eyes again, they were golden.