Chapter 29: Pay back time

"Revenge, the sweetest morsel to the mouth that ever was cooked in hell."

~ Walter Scott (The Heart of Mid-Lothian) 

~~~~~~~~

Before they could hit the earth, Goodness teleported. And the next thing Miracle knew they were back at the Lighthouse's main chamber. In fact, they landed right at the centre of the battle. The sea of people parted easily for them, ceasing their fighting for a moment, staring at them, mouths hanging open.

Miracle suspected it wasn't because of his astounding, ethereal beauty. No, it was because of Blue. Well, not really. Because of Goodness, more likely.

She had finally taken over Blue's body. A part of him wanted to yell at her shrilly, that she was endangering the life of Blue. That her essence would be too much for Blue's childlike mind and soul. But words seemed to have abandoned him. He could only stare at her numbly. Besides, she did just save them.

Everyone was gawking at the glowing, shimmery, powerful form of Blue. She was radiating control and power. It was almost blinding.

"Hello, Miracle," Blue greeted but her voice was completely different, older, more matured, her eyes lacquered and laced with that fond exasperation, both condescending and kind, that only adults could manage. Or ancient entities.

"G-Goodness," Miracle spluttered, his voice trembling.

Blue looked a little amused and a little awed herself. "Finally," Goodness breathed, staring down at herself. "I had been hesitating to take over Blue's body but...well, circumstances forced me. I just hope it wouldn't have any negative implications on her--"

Goodness was interrupted by another voice. "So, you finally show yourself," Evil said satirically, materialising behind them in his swirl of smoke and ash. Whatever flash of humanity that had awakened inside of him during Blue's song was completely gone, buried away.

Goodness turned around to face him, a bitter smile curling her lips. Miracle's head was spinning. It seemed so wholly bewildering to see a short kid like Blue face up to a towering guy who used to once be an officer in the navy, who was – is – her father.

But the physical differences between them scarcely mattered because whatever height Blue lacked, Goodness made up for it with her strong, confident, assured and a little bit sassy personality. If anything, Goodness seemed to have a more commanding presence than Evil.

But he didn't dare hope. The fight wasn't yet over.

"You wanted me, Evil," Goodness/Blue said, her voice, simultaneously amicable and cold. "So, here I am."

"Took you long enough." Evil raised an eyebrow. "I had started to assume you might just be too scared."

Goodness laughed, her voice echoing through the suddenly silent room. Everyone seemed a bit unsure. To fight? Or not to fight? The orders were no longer clear.

Besides, when two deities, the very forces of nature, stood before you, bantering and throwing passive-aggressive insults with lightly veiled accusations, it was hard not to stare and gasp and marvel.

"It is not I who is scared. It is you, my dearest and highly annoying counterpart," Goodness said. "Pirates? Really? Have your standards fallen so low? You'd think after last time, during the World Wars, when you were possessing high leaders and officials, the bar would have elevated a little since then. But, I understand," Goodness's voice turned sardonic and mocking, "being boxed up can really mess you up--"

"Y-You!" Evil barked, barely being able to form any coherent words in his rage, spittle flying from his mouth. "You call me wicked? Look at you! You thwart me, attempt to destroy me, possess kids! How are you any better, you charlatan--"

"Oh, Evil, you wound me," Goodness retorted, flailing her hand around dramatically. She did always have a flare for melodrama. "After years of fighting ceaseless, pointless battles, you still really haven't learned anything about me, have you? I'm Goodness. Not Kindness. You cannot believe how it gets under my skin when people keep confusing me for being a symbol of all things kind and soft! I'm hardly anything like that! I stand for what is right and what is good. And being good never in a thousand years has meant being kind. In fact, often times, you cannot be both good and kind.

"But, never mind that," Goodness waved her hand dismissively. And, abruptly, all trace of jokes disappeared from her eyes, as she slowly stepped forward, her every step a threat. "All you need to know is that every time you try to poison this world with your cruel tricks, every time I will stand up to you. And every time I will defeat you. And I will keep on coming, relentlessly. I will never let you win, Evil. You will never prevail. Not until there is breath in me, not until there is even a shred of good in the heart of humans, I will come for you."

For a long moment, there was a pregnant silence, awe reflecting in the faces of everyone.

Until, Evil shattered it, laughing and clapping. "What a moving speech! It is admirable, really. And I thought I had a silver tongue. Let's test those words of yours, shall we? Can your side be able to face down mine, Goodness? One last showdown? Well, at least, for this century."

Goodness smirked. "One last showdown," she agreed.

Evil rolled up the sleeves of his coat, preparing to summon his dark magic, but Goodness's eyes were focused on something else beyond his shoulder. Suddenly, her eyes flashed to his, her smile only widening.

"You know, my fickle mind has changed. I'm not really in the mood to fight," Goodness said, blowing on her nails. "Besides, I like Blue. She's a good child. And I could see that she would grow up to become a strong, beautiful girl. I don't want to ruin that by channelling my powers through her and potentially destroy her mind and soul. I'd like to have a sane girl for a host, thank you very much."

Evil gaped at Goodness in disbelief before he exclaimed, to everyone and no one in particular. "Do you hear her? After her invigorating speech, she's nothing but a coward! Tell me, Goodness, is that your suave way of backing out of a fight? Are you really this scared that you won't win? Tell me, Goodness! Tell them! Tell them you won't fight because you're a cowardly little b--"

Goodness snorted. "Hardly, Evil. Also, language. My host is a child; let us not destroy her innocence just yet. Besides, my job was to only distract you. I must say, you do get easily distracted. First, Miracle and Sherry manage to keep your attention and sneak in their friends. And then, I manage to capture your attention with some silly speeches. Besides, why should I fight you and possibly end up destroying my host when there is a huge angry crowd willing to take you down?"

Evil's brows wove together. He started to ask, "What do you mean--?"

Goodness beat him to it. "Look behind you, darling."

Face pallid, he turned around and stumbled back a step.

Goodness might have taken control of Blue to save them from the fall but she had kept blabbering on to enrapt Evil while Sherry and Hate sneaked behind him towards the sarcophagus. And, now, the lid of it hung wide open. The men who were guarding it lied on a massive heap sideways, some completely knocked out cold, while others whimpered in pain, vainly attempting to crawl away.

And there emerged from the sarcophagus a small army of vengeful and angry beings, Love and Good Luck in the front, hands on hips, eyes scorching, mouths twisted into growls.

All Miracle could think was, Well, damn.