Chapter 10: A cruise through the Arabian Sea

"What I really want to tell him is to pick up that baby of his and hold her tight, to set the moon on the edge of her crib and to hang her name up in the stars."

~ Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The kids, frozen in shock, just gawked as the zombies launched themselves on the King. However, one thing the zombies forgot to take into consideration–probably because of the lack of important organs such as the brain–was that the King was standing at the edge of the gap. So, down they all went, in an awful waterfall of bones and rotting flesh, their screams fading as the darkness swallowed them up.

The queen, who had not charged along with her army, remained where she was. But the shock and outrage that flashed in her face showed that she wasn't expecting her plan to backfire the way it did. She turned to regard the kids, her expression icy and her mouth set in a snarl.

"This does not end here," she hissed, trembling with rage. But she backed away when Warren threateningly approached her. "You might have defeated us but you cannot defeat our Master! He'll destroy you! He'll destroy each and every one of you! Heed my words---!"

Her words segued into a scream as Warren snapped his fingers and lifted her up into the air, his eyebrows drawn together in annoyance. Her cries echoed through the chambers as she hurtled down the gap to...hell, probably.

A pregnant silence ensued, before Warren said, sighing tiredly, "Well...that was fun. Can we please go back now?"

Blue wanted to nod but she abruptly became aware of an ugly cut in her arms. She winced as the wound burned into her skin. Suddenly, black spots danced in her vision and she found herself swaying in her feet. She was about to collapse when familiar hands slipped through her waist, taking hold of her firmly. And she finally slipped into the void of unconsciousness.

~~~~~~~~

Blue's eyes fluttered open to find a concerned face hovering above her. As her vision cleared, Miracle's face swam into view.

"Hey," he said, helping her up into a sitting position. "Blue, my Blue, are you okay? You had me worried."

Grunting in reply, Blue looked around at their surroundings. Confused and curious, she realised they were in a small room of sorts. Decadently furnished with twin beds, a wardrobe, a vanity and even a small bookshelf, the room didn't at all seem familiar to Blue.

Suddenly, Blue's nose caught a familiar smell. The smell of the sea.

For a second, Blue was almost sure they were back at her town but then she registered the slight, almost unnoticeable, swaying of the floor. Realisation dawning, Blue gaped at Miracle who smiled sheepishly, shrugging.

Blue jumped out of her bed, nearly tripping on her haste, and rushed towards the small window set on the wall. Safe to say, her jaw practically came unhinged as she drank in the sight of a cerulean, possibly boundless, stretch of water extending all around them.

~~~~~~~~

"But I don't understand!" Blue argued. "Why didn't we just teleport back to our home?"

"Because," was all Warren answered, as he put on some sunglasses and stretched back lazily in the recliner, sighing as the breeze blew calmly from the sea.

Blue, Miracle, Warren and Sherry were currently on the upper deck of the enormous cruiser which had departed from the West Indian coast hours ago and was lazily sailing through the Arabian Sea and towards America. Tourists, in various stages of dressing, or rather un-dressing, were lounging all around, sipping on martinis or drinking lemonades or just trying to tan. Stewards, carrying pewter trays, weaved through the crowd, offering mouth-watering snacks. Somewhere, an orchestra was playing. But their music was drowned out by the squawking of gulls.