Chapter 25: Roll, camera...

"One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone."

~ Shannon L. Alder

~~~~~~~~~

Miracle's heart was beating in an unhealthy rate and he worried that he would end up dead because of a coronary before Evil could even have his way with him.

Evil snapped his fingers, the sound ringing through the silent room. Sherry and Miracle found themselves being slowly lowered into the ground. Before the either of them could even stand up, two of those pirates – the Skrulls – were upon them, shackling their wrists, tight and firm, like true sailors. Miracle hardly paid attention. His eyes were looking around for a certain black haired, steadfast, imprudent girl. Where was Blue?

As if sensing his restlessness, Evil's smile widened in delight. "Looking for my daughter?" he asked.

Miracle shot him the most devastating glare he could manage. "She's not your daughter."

"Well, I suppose not," Evil allowed. "But it does not hurt to pretend, does it? Besides, with her father a bit...occupied," Evil barely contained his mirth, as if he had said the most ingenious and funny pun in the world, "someone would need to do his job. So, tell me, Miracle, what do you want from my daughter?"

Miracle didn't grace that waste of space with an answer.

Evil feigned hurt. "What is it? Do I need to be sterner? Or should I start cracking some dad jokes?"

"You wouldn't know, would you?" Miracle retorted. "Considering you've been boxed up for a while now. Tell me, how does it feel like, having enchanted aluminium and tin foil for a house?"

That wasn't necessarily true. The sarcophagus was made from magic, not from metal. But, well, it seemed to have struck a chord inside Evil's black, black heart.

His eyes blazed in anger and Miracle's heart started to beat a little faster but then Evil smiled, looking unbothered. "I'm much more ancient than you, boy. I wouldn't call it wise to take up an unnecessary fight with me. In fact, haven't you ever wondered why I never bothered to come after you? Or make you a part of the deal too? I'm sure naive Sherry here would have gladly delivered you to me, in exchange for her cowardly little sister."

Sherry's eyes were radiating hatred. If looks could kill, Evil wouldn't stand a chance.

Despite himself, Miracle had the irrational urge to ask why. He knew he would be taking the bait but his tongue moved on its own accord. "Why?" he asked guardedly.

"Because you, my boy, are not important. Simple as that," Evil said, spreading out his hands.

That stung more than it should have but Miracle couldn't help his emotions.

"It's a shame, isn't it?" Evil continued, relentless. "Wrath was swayed into assisting me because he believed he wasn't worthy, that he was incapable of any...good," Evil's mouth twisted distastefully at that word, "when really, he is competent and gifted. His powers are immense, like slightly muted versions of mine. I would have gladly taken him under my wing, made him an apprentice even. But, no, that boy insists on drowning on his own insecurities and temper."

Evil stroked his goatee, as he said, his voice mocking, "You, on the other hand, burn so bright, thinking all the good you have done for the world, don't you? It isn't exactly arrogance either. Self-assured might be the word. So ready to assume that you matter – all because you gifted a boy a toy that his mother wouldn't give him. It pains me to break it to you," he did not look pained at all, "that your actions are worthless. So what if you granted the boy some fleeting two seconds of joy? He would forget all about that little miracle the very next day. And in a few years, he would throw away that little toy too. And, poof. Just like that, you'd be gone too."