Chapter 15: Deals with the Devil

"Et tu, Brute?"

~ William Shakespeare (Julius Caesar) 

~~~~~~~~~ 

(A/N: Sorry to pop in but just wanted to say that I've been eagerly waiting to add that quote. I don't why. But, it's one of my favorite quotes! Don't forget to share your fav quotes too! Anyways, please do press the star button and leave me some comments on your thoughts <3) 

~~~~~~~~~

"You know, separating and exploring is never a good idea," Miracle muttered, as he and Sherry made their way through the endless maze of hallways. "What are we looking for anyway?"

Sherry, who was a few paces ahead of him, shrugged, not answering. Miracle frowned at her direction. He had dismissed it for a while but, for some reason, his stomach kept knotting in anticipation. He blamed it on the creepy ship. He wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be haunted or something. After zombies, what were a few ghosts? Pfft, he could take anything.

Or so he told himself.

Maybe the jitteriness was because of Blue. He hoped Warren wouldn't lead her into some sort of danger. He shouldn't have let her out of his sight to begin with.

Abruptly, Sherry yelped. Miracle, snapping out of his thoughts, rushed towards her, only to find that she had stepped over a dead mouse.

"Oh, huh." She chuckled, sheepishly. "S-Sorry, caught me off guard!"

Miracle's eyebrows knitted as he studied her. Sherry had always been a fretful little creature with some serious taint in questions regarding loyalty (for instance, this one time, she found out one of Miracle's darkest fears and told it to Fear himself! Rest assured, Miracle couldn't sleep for a month.)

But, today, something felt particularly off. She seemed even more jittery and nervous than him which was commendable, actually. Miracle, much as he liked to pretend bravado, wasn't actually very brave. In fact, his valour was pretty much that – a pretence. He wasn't like Warren, who could look trouble in the face and flip it off (actually, on that note, he did do that once. Trouble wasn't pleased. Like, at all.)

He knew Warren and he had difference that went a long way back. He was also aware that these difference were born because neither of them ever had it in them to talk it out. But, despite all that, Miracle has never questioned his trust on Warren. And he didn't doubt that somewhere deep inside of him, Warren trusted Miracle too. In another lifetime, Miracle sometimes thought, they might have been like brothers.

Yet, today, something didn't feel right. Miracle trusted Wrath, he did. But, more than that, he trusted his own intuition.

"Sherry, is everything all right?" Miracle asked and his voice was thin enough to show that he wasn't joking around. Sherry stilled before him, sensing the edge in his voice. She slowly turned around, her face pallid and her hands trembling. She seemed unable to meet his eyes.

"Sherry, what is it? Is there something you're not telling me?"

She opened her mouth as if to answer, when an unfamiliar voice of a woman rang out, a startling shock in the haunting quiet of the ship, "Who's there?"

Flinching with surprise, Miracle spun around and squinted ahead at the long stretch of tunnel. For a second, everything was dark and quiet. But then he saw three figures materialize through the shadows, their footsteps echoing and the shine of a torchlight chasing away the surrounding gloom.