Chapter 32: Bollywood soaps and evil husband

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

~ George Carlin

~~~~~~~~

Rita Jennings was just minding her business when someone came knocking on her door.

She had been eating her dinner, flipping through some soaps being telecasted on the TV before taking out a DVD from her old collection handed over to her by her mother dearest. She settled down comfortably on the couch, watching her favourite childhood Bollywood movie for about the hundredth time. Having lived in the United States for the better part of her life, it was these movies and pictures that helped her connect to her own culture.

However, the movie failed to capture her attention. The food felt tasteless too, more like chewing cardboard than actual rice and curry. She wasn't sure why but she had been feeling very restless and anxious these past few days. She would find herself going over to her daughter's room and falling asleep right over there and would only wake up when Timmy would come whining for some food.

Some days, she would go out and sit on the swing set, feeling terribly alone, a worry that she couldn't place, eating her up. Her mind constantly wandered over to Blue. Her sweet little Blue. She knew she shouldn't be worried. Blue had just gone over to stay with her friends for a week, right? So, what was there to worry about? She had done that before.

But her motherly instincts wouldn't give her a moment's peace.

Timmy seemed to be reciprocating her feelings too. Every single day, he would go and paw at the door, waiting for Blue, assuming she must have gone to school. And, every single day, when she wouldn't return, he would go and settle down sadly at the foot of her bed, his tail between his legs.

The house was strangely desolate and lonely.

That is, until, the knock came on her door. Switching off the TV and washing her hand, Rita dragged her feet towards the door, stifling a yawn. It was very late. Almost midnight. She should've been asleep but her sleep was becoming sporadic. Besides, who would be coming over now?

Rita would be beyond pissed if it was Mrs Nosey again. Their neighbour had an annoying habit of arriving at their doorstep at ungodly hours, asking about the most trivial of things. It made Rita want to shift to a different neighbourhood, altogether.

Of course, never in a million years was Rita expecting to see what she did when she swung open the door.

For a second, the figure standing at the door's threshold was bathed in darkness but, then, the clouds briefly parted to reveal the moon. Its silvery beam rained down on them and the figure came to light.

Rita gasped, stumbling backwards, her eyes wide as saucers. She lost her balance and stumbled on the floor as the shadow loomed over her. Shock and disbelief coloured her face as she looked up at him. It couldn't be, could it? N-No! It was impossible!

"M-Markus?" Rita stuttered, barely being able to articulate any coherent words.

Evil tilted his head, smiling ominously, "Hello, my lovely wife."

~~~~~~~

"Markus?" Rita asked again, unable to form another word. Her voice was shaking as she slowly stood up, not trusting her wobbly, unsteady legs to support her weight. "I-Is it really you?"

"In flesh and blood," Evil said, flourishing his hands, seeming to enjoy this situation immensely.

Rita hungrily drank in his form, the shock making it hard to think properly. He looked exactly the same like he had three years ago. Jet black hair swept back cleanly, still tall and lanky with broad shoulders. He had, however, grown a goatee now over his previously cleanly shaved jaw. But something didn't seem right...