Chapter 31: Victory problems

"Sometimes standing against evil is more important than defeating it. The greatest heroes stand because it is right to do so, not because they believe they will walk away with their lives. Such selfless courage is a victory in itself."

~ N.D. Wilson (Dandelion Fire) 

~~~~~~~~

"What the..." Miracle trailed off, his eyes frantically searching the suddenly quiet room. Their side had seemingly won. Hate was leading the others in sweeping the room clean and clearing the mess. The 'mess' mostly being the pirates.

There was also a small but heated debate ongoing on whether to hand over these perpetrators to the police or to just let them go. (Both had their own set of problems. To hand them over to the police would require them to do it anonymously but they'll still have to do it believably enough so as not to rouse suspicion. But to let them go, someone would have to remove their memory of these past few days. But they will also be taking the risk of letting lose criminals.)

The wounded ones were being healed jointly by the duo, Hope and Love (the latter was probably avoiding having to talk to Hate). No one had died – thank god for that. Because that would have created a complete different level of mess that Miracle wasn't ready to deal with.

Vague explanations were being provided to the confused pirates by Fair who carefully avoided mentioning words like 'Evil', 'Goodness', 'deities' et cetera. Trickster was trying to study the illusion that Evil must have pulled to create this new Lighthouse and how to tear it apart.

"Where would he go?" Miracle asked to no one in particular. He sensed an approaching headache.

"We didn't even realise," Sherry said, clasping and unclasping her hands nervously. "He just disappeared. He must have teleported."

"But the question is where?" Warren said.

Blue was about to say something when the corner of her eyes abruptly caught a weird glint. The orb that rested on an intricately carved stand beside the oak throne was suddenly swirling, giving off a faint cerulean light.

Frowning, Blue rushed towards it, jumping over the dais and climbing on the throne to properly look at it.

As if sensing her gaze, the mist churning behind the orb's crystal glass parted. Blue's mouth hung open as the orb slowly changed to show a familiar neighbourhood. There were rows of suburban houses with sloping roofs and porches and just enough space to have a small garden.

Night was still blanketing the earth, trapping it in its inky darkness. There was a wind howling above the roofs of the houses. Blue couldn't hear it but she could see it in the way the trees danced, barely hanging on to their roots, leaves sprung away from the branches, carried away to nowhere and everywhere. The roads were entirely deserted, the people huddling on their houses, waiting for the storm to past.

But as thunder boomed in long, shuddering rolls and a single ribbon of lightning streaked across the darkened sky, a figure materialised along with the momentary flare of harsh light. For a second, Blue couldn't discern it or properly make out its silhouette as it swiftly crossed the street and made its way towards the front door of a house. A particularly familiar house.

With its bold paints, red shutters and a creaking swing set, Blue instantly recognized it. Her home.

Almost as if sensing her gaze, the figure turned. Its cold gaze met hers.

Evil's smile was indeed a cruel one, cutting at her even from miles.

~~~~~~~

"I know where he is," Blue said, her voice laced with barely stifled dread and fear. After everything she had seen, Blue had assumed she would be incapable of fear anymore. She was mistaken. It weaved through her, raw and visceral. Her Ma...she was in danger. Blue needed to do something. She would never – never – let her Ma be dragged into this mess.

"Where--?" Miracle started to ask, finally noticing that Blue was standing on the seat of the throne, her hands crossed over her chest, her nose pinched in anger.

Abruptly though, as Blue was about to jump down, the room shook violently, debris falling from the ceiling. Screams and shouts erupted as cracks appeared on the walls, creating a honeycomb design. Blue cried out as the throne that she was standing upon rattled, making her crash on the dais.

She barely registered the cuts on her arms and legs because someone was already hauling her up on her feet.

"We need to get out of here!" Miracle cried, slinging an arm below Blue's armpit, letting her lean against him.

There was almost a stampede as people rushed to get out of the Lighthouse. The ladders used to access the balcony went sailing through the air, crashing loudly on the floor, breaking into splinters and awakening a flurry of dust. Pillars supporting the conical roof shook too, fractures appearing on their foundation.

"What is happening?" Sherry cried as she moved to shield her sister, Good Luck, who was limping because of a nasty gash on her leg.

"Evil's powers kept this place patched together. Now that he's gone, the place must be crumbling," Warren explained quickly.

Miracle nodded, dragging Blue away from the rickety stage. "Where did you say Evil was again?"

"I didn't," Blue answered, looking around in panic.

"Blue, look at me," Miracle said, forcing her chin up to meet his eyes. "We'll get out of here. We can teleport. You just need to tell me where he is."

"But your powers--" Blue argued.

Miracle grinned. "They are back, thanks to you."

Blue looked puzzled but there was no time to argue. "Evil's going after my mom. We need to save her. I-I can't..." I can't lose her too, Blue thought. She didn't say it out loud though. She didn't need to. Miracle's face darkened in understanding.

He looked over at Warren and Sherry. "I'll take Blue back home. I think I'm strong enough to hold off Evil for a while. You guys pull the others to safety." He quickly added, "Don't forget the sarcophagus. Bring it to us. And be quick!"

Warren and Sherry nodded. Blue didn't get to see where they went off to because abruptly, the world was spinning before her eyes. And a familiar tickle spread from the pit of her belly. It weirdly reminded her of being in a Ferris Wheel, except it felt like the speed had been increased to about hundred kilometre per hour.

When she opened her eyes again, they were no longer standing at the shattering room of the Lighthouse. Instead, they were at the driveway of Blue's home.