Chapter 27: Falling

"And falling's just another way to fly."

~ Emilie Autumn

~~~~~~~~

Blue's eyes met Miracle even through all the noise and pandemonium. She could feel Evil's arm clamped around her throat. The grasp was hard enough to prevent her from talking but not so much that it would crush her windpipe entirely.

She wondered why he was still hesitating. Maybe he was hoping to somehow oblige Goodness to come out of her. Or maybe he just wanted to take his time to kill her. She doubted it was his morals that were stopping him from strangling a child.

Or maybe, just maybe, her father was resisting...

No, no! She couldn't think about that and be distracted. She wasn't ready to face that much disappointment.

Goodness, you in there? Blue asked nervously.

I'm always here, Goodness answered without hesitation.

Blue nearly rolled her eyes. Not that way. Do you have a plan or not?

No, I do not, Goodness said warily. But I know you do, I can hear it concocting in your mind.

Well, that wasn't totally false. Blue did have a roughly patched together plan. She didn't think she could even make a plan. But when your existence is at a crisis, you tend to come up with one. However, she wasn't confident enough to assume it would work. If anything, it would completely backfire and end up making her the laughing stock.

Being the laughing stock is the least of your worries, Goodness reminded her. It is the best plan you have. So, use it before it's too late. Unless, of course...

Blue's brows furrowed. Unless, what?

Unless you gave me control of your body. I'd use it to channel my powers and defeat Evil.

Well, why haven't you done it then?

Goodness seemed affronted. Because I'm not Evil! I may have to use people as hosts but I refuse to control them without their consent.

That's highly noble of you, Blue thought suspiciously.

Goodness relented. Okay, fine. You got me, little Blue. It wasn't because of that. I fear your child's body may not be able to withstand my powers.

That was no option, then. Blue did not want to die. Not in the hands of Goodness or because of Evil. That left her with only her insipid, defective plan.

While Blue was busy having a conversation on her own head, the rest of the fight was still continuing. Whereas Miracle was nowhere to be seen. Sherry and Hate, Blue spotted from the corner of her eyes, were slyly making their way towards the sarcophagus. Blue was both smug and disappointed that no one had taken up Evil's ultimatum. It was either because they were cooking up a plan of their own...or they just didn't care about Blue.

No, that wasn't possible, Blue thought, cross at her own self. If Miracle had gone to these lengths to summon help, he wouldn't just give up now. As if beckoned by her thoughts, a recognizable voice said from right behind them, "Let her go."

Evil whirled around, spinning Blue with him. And there stood Miracle. Blue recalled how these were his exact words when he had first saved her from Warren and Sherry in the dark alleyway. How far they had come since then.

Blue gladly drank in his tall, lean figure, absorbing the assurance that came at his presence. It seemed like ages since they had been separated at the ship. If they ever survived this, Blue decided, she would never let go of him. In fact, she would cling on to him like a koala bear clings on to a tree, no matter what he thought of it.