Chapter 30: The bromance is real

"Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

~ A.A. Milne (The House at Pooh Corner)

~~~~~~~~ 

If it was chaotic a few minutes ago, right now, it seemed like hell itself had opened its doors to its deadly realm.

Miracle could see Happy, a pudgy boy who didn't really look too joyful, Fair and Justice, both wearing their signature you-shall-be-punished-for-your-crimes look, Mercy, who wasn't feeling too merciful at the moment, Dreamy, Hope and, at least, a few others more – people he hadn't met in a long, long time. Admittedly, he had almost forgotten some of them even existed.

It really was frightening to see a sea of angry and now-freed prisoners bear down on Evil from all sides. The Skrulls retaliated as best as they could but they were already worn down from the unexpected attack launched by Hate and his team of five. They didn't stand a chance.

Miracle almost felt bad for them. Almost.

With his powers depleted, he knew he couldn't jump into the fight. Much as he would have liked to be a hero, he was sensible first. So, he grabbed Blue/Goodness's arm and dragged her towards the dais above which sat the throne and crouched beside its shadows.

Goodness didn't try to hide her amusement. "Really, Miracle? I'm touched. But I'm very well capable of defending myself."

Those words seemed like something Blue would have said, if only it weren't laced with sarcasm.

Miracle glared at Goodness. After all these years, he had nearly forgotten how exasperating she could be at times. What a huge misconception it was to assume that Goodness would make the world fall on your feet, set the moon on your crib and shower you with kind gifts.

The reality was far less pleasing than that. No, she would make you work for it, make you sweat and bleed and cry. And if you tried to give up, she would drag you back on your feet and beat you up with a stick and shatter all your confidence and trod over it gladly.

And if, in spite of all that, you emerged strong and willing, she would not spare you a glance. And if you gave up, she would huff and say, "What a loser." That is, if she allowed you to give up.

Miracle would know. He had experienced it all.

Yet, he also knew that she cared. Perhaps more than anybody else. Like an especially stern mother.

As mayhem broke loose before them, ravaging and destructive in its wake, Miracle looked at Goodness and said, his voice a warning baritone, "I'm not doing it to save you. I'm well aware of your capabilities. I'm doing it to save your host. Give Blue her body back."

Goodness sighed. He thought he heard her mutter something like 'party pooper' but then she went on to say, "I know I should. But it's nice to be in control for a while. It is both infuriating and endearing to see the world from her point of view but--"

"Goodness," Miracle cautioned, his patience wearing thin.

"Oh, all right, all right. Ever the noble boy," Goodness said, narrowing her eyes at him. "But, before I go, wouldn't you, say, like a replenishment of your powers, seeing as they have abandoned you?"

Miracle studied her. "Can you do that?"

Goodness smirked and held out her hand.

Miracle took it. "It won't hurt Blue, will it?"