Chapter Eleven

I was glad that Brooke had texted me, to let me know that she had a great time on her birthday. She had also loved the books that I had bought for her, so that was a bonus. I was also glad to know that Brooke and Sara had been getting along a little better. It seemed that the relationships between the people I knew were improving, and I was thankful for that. 

I just wished that the same could be said for me. I hadn't seen Jase in a long time. I knew that he had been busy training and studying. However, it really had been a long time since I had last had a proper conversation with him. What's more, when I asked him to hang out with me, he would always have some reason as to why he couldn't. I just hoped our communication wasn't going to break down entirely. I really had missed him, and those warm green eyes of his which always made me feel safe. Life was just different without him around. 

All the same, Jase not being present just provided me with more opportunities to study, and yes, while I did procrastinate a lot, I managed to finish my assignment. I got an A on it, so that was a plus. Jase had helped me in studying for it, though, so I was especially grateful for him, too, of course. 

It didn't change how much I missed him, though. I supposed I had just thought that we would have plenty of chances to be together over the course of our final year of college. Now, it really didn't seem as though that was happening. 

Nevertheless, I knew that things could change quickly. I was just having to remind myself to not be too disheartened. 

Besides, I had other friends. Excellent friends. I really didn't have to feel so lonely twenty-four hours of the day. It was as though even dream Antonia was anxious about having not spent much time with her boyfriend lately. 

Regardless, I pushed those thoughts out of my head for now, and smiled as I thought back to Brooke. At least the two of us had become closer during this time. It seemed that Jase hadn't been speaking much to her, either, which just meant that Brooke and I had resorted to spending plenty of time with each other. She really was becoming such a good friend of mine. 

My brother soon knocked upon the door of my bedroom, causing my thought bubble to burst. 

"Hey loser, do you have any pens?" he asked me. 

"Catch," I told him, as I chucked him one of them. 

"Thanks," he replied, catching it. He then smiled towards me, before darting away, probably to continue on with his studies. 

I decided to follow behind. After all, it may turn out  that he needed some of his sister's help with his homework. 

"How's it going, Mikael?" I asked him. 

He just took his reading glasses off, momentarily, as he ran a hand through his disheveled hair. 

"About as well as can be expected," he replied. 

"Oh, so you're-" 

"I'm done," he told me, then, closing his notebook. 

"You're done?" I repeated, just to make sure that I had heard him correctly. 

He simply nodded. 

"Yeah. Why are you acting so surprised?" he asked me. 

"Right, right. I couldn't forget that you're the smarter one," I said then, ruffling a hand through his hair. 

He just smirked, roiling his eyes at me, as he began to tap his fingers against his desk momentarily.

"Did you need something?" he asked me. 

"Why do I always need something? Can't I just spend some quality time with my little bro?" I asked him. 

He released a soft laugh.