Chapter Twenty-One

Brooke and I sat in the back garden of her house, on a warm summer's afternoon, as the two of us simply talked to one another. I always felt like I didn't have enough time with her, really, which was why I wanted to spend as much of the summer with her as I possibly could. The golden sun was setting on the horizon, which bathed the garden in a warm light. It caused the peach and pink roses to particularly stand out against the emerald green grass. The sky was turning a perfect pink shade, too, which just served to make Brooke look even more beautiful. 

"I'm glad I'm here with you, Brooke," I said, as a tranquil breeze passed by the two of us. 

"Likewise, Bennett," she replied, as she smiled towards me, "It's always a good time with you, sweets." 

"Really?" I asked her. 

"Yeah!" she replied, energetically. 

She then moved over to stand beside me, and gently rested her arm on my shoulder. At first the height difference had been something to get used to. Now, I found it sort of cute, actually. 

Brooke enveloped me into a hug, and when I drew back from it, I just gently rested a hand on her arm. 

"Have you been working out?" I asked her. 

"I've had a lot of down time since college finished," she said, with a subtle smirk.

I simply smiled back at her. 

"You know, I'm optimistic about the future for us two," she said, then. 

"Yeah?" I asked her. 

"Of course, sweets. You're my favourite person. I was so fortunate to have met you," she told me, then, "Of course, I wasn't sure that this would ever happen, given that you were with Jase for so long. However, as soon as I knew what was going on with Sara, my strong will was settled. I wasn't going to just let you go." 

"Oh really?" I asked her. 

She raised an eyebrow at me, as the corner of her lips lifted a little. 

"Really," she replied, with a playful glint in her eyes, as she inched in a little closer. Her turquoise eyes explored my own for a moment, before she leant in to gently press her lips against mine. I just kissed her back, until I could taste that familiar strawberry gloss again. She then parted from the kiss and winked at me, "I could get used to that," she replied. 

"Is that so?" 

"It's so. How about you?" she asked me then. 

With her eyes focused on me, I couldn't help but feel a little nervous. 

"I just like being around you," I said. 

"Yeah, just being around me?" she asked me. 

"And you know, kissing you, and all that good stuff," I said. 

Brooke just released a playful chuckle. 

"Sweets, you really can be adorable at times," she told me. 

I found myself blushing, but the affectionate shine in Brooke's eyes was enough to tell me that her words came with sincerity. 

She stretched one of her arms out momentarily, before resting her hand on the back of her head. 

Her blonde hair swayed a little due to the breeze. 

My own hair was currently tied into a messy bun. I hadn't thought it looked all that cute, but Brooke had told me I looked pretty regardless, and she had made sure to make it clear to me that her word was law.