Prologue

"Stories you read when you're the right age never quite leave you. You may forget who wrote them or what the story was called. Sometimes you'll forget precisely what happened, but if a story touches you it will stay with you, haunting the places in your mind that you rarely ever visit."

~ Neil Gaiman (M is for Magic)

~~~~~~~~~

When Blue was a child, there was a story her father used to tell her.

With the crescent moon hanging on the dark sky, the cries of the cicadas creating a strange symphony and the wind whispering an ancient, forgotten language, he would come down and sit beside her bed, the light of the lamp casting a warm glow on his rugged but benign face. And then he would speak, his voice a raspy, pleasing melody, fit for a storyteller.

Blue still recalled how eagerly she would wait to hear him spin his outlandish tales, his eyes aglow, his hands flying around, gesturing wildly, as the either of them got sucked deep into the zeal of their own fantastical world.

There weren't a lot of memories that Blue had to remember of him but those night-time stories had always stuck with her. As she had grown up though, it wasn't the stories itself that she remembered. No, it was the feel of being there, in that room, encased in the comforting presence of him and his jarring anecdotes.

However, there was one particular story that she did recall. It was the one she would insist on listening every night before finally relenting to sleep.

Right now, as she fell, the air whooshing around her, the sky, the stars, the crash of water against the shore, the despairing cry of a boy fading away, blending into a distant tune, she abruptly recalled that tale.

What an odd time to think of a bed-time story, a part of her thought. Yet, those words swept through her anyway. Maybe she was supposed to feel bitter, knowing the irony of the situation. But all she felt was a strange peace.

That is, until, another pair of arms wrapped around her waist, cocooning her against his body. As the howling wind washed away her tears, she looked into the eyes of the boy whose face was pale with fear. For her. For the inevitable death that approached them.

He had jumped after her, she realised, staring into his wide, hazel eyes. For a second, they were almost suspended in the air. Time seemed to slow down, as if it were watching these two bodies, desperately, frantically hanging on to each other, watching their fall, mourning them.

And, right then, at that moment, the first words of her father's story came to her. It started like every story out there, though it never ended like one.

It began with a 'Once upon a...'

"Miracle," Blue whispered, her arms tight around his neck.

He embraced her back, the familiar warmth of him the only consolation against the hard truth.

They wouldn't survive.

They would fall.

Down, down, down.

So, yes, yes, I know

So, yes, yes, I know. Who the hell publishes a prologue after nearly completing their entire story? Oh well, I admit, I did it to increase my word count. And, also, to make people realise that this ain't just a tale that will warm their hearts with cute friendships.

This *clears throat dramatically* is a story where you shall witness some incredible action sequences, staggering plot twists...and, I should stop. Besides, the last thing I want is to get your hopes up too much.

But I have a question to my readers:

Does this prologue only confuse you? Or does it confuse you in a OMG-WHAT-IS-HAPPENING way? Or you're just like hmm-cool-but-whatever? Or meh-not-gonna-read-this? If it's the latter, can you please spare the time to tell me what part you did not enjoy?

Anyways, shoutout to @_The_Godsend_ (mY tAg bUtToN iS bRoKeN) for your support! Thank you so much :)

And to my new readers who might have accidentally stumbled on this book and thought, "Let's see what it's about," WELCOME! I hope I won't disappoint.

And, remember! The star button looks better when it's orange, so please press it ;)

~~~~~~~~

A C H I E V E M E N T S
(because I'm completely not above bragging)

*Overall Winner in the Sunset Awards*

*1st place in the Star Dazzle Awards*

*2nd place in the Coronation Awards 2020*

*2nd place in the Vintage Awards*

*2nd place in the Creators Choice Awards 2020*