Chapter 18

Arden POV

"Dad, I don't want to marry Sofia," I said, knowing full well that he knows that I'm lying, but I don't want to force someone to marry me. I want what's best for Sofia, not what's best for me.

My dad took a deep breath, "Your mouth says no, but your eyes say the opposite."

"I know, okay, I'm in love with her, but forcing her to marry me, that's out of the line, if I want her heart, I'll win it fair and square," I argued, hopefully none of the people from the ball can hear us.

"And you think i don't know that, I know about your bet days ago," he said and my mouth almost hanged open, but my eyes went wide.

"I tried, but she just won't see me that way, I see it in her eyes," I sighed and I looked at the picture of my mom that hangs in my dad's office. "She doesn't look at me like mom looks at you," I said with a hint of disappointment in my voice.

"Tonight," he said and I looked at him questioningly.

"If there's really no chance, we'll let her go and we'll call the wedding out," he said and I gave my dad a slight smile and he smiled back.

"Thank dad," I said.

"I just want to see you settled down before I see your mother again," he said and I walked towards my dad and gave him a hug.

"I know dad, but forced marriage isn't going to make me happy," I said and I gave my dad a pat on the back.

___________

Hi guys! I'm sorry to cut in your reading but, I'm suggesting a show that I'd think you'd like.

If you're looking for someone to ship, or just really likes fantasy and adventure, I've got the perfect show for you.

Legend Quest: Masters of Myth out on Netflix

_____________

"Your mother taught you well," he said and I chuckled before letting him go.

I coughed and I fixed my clothes, so that the maid's effort is not in vain.

"I better go back, it's my engagement party after all," I said and he just nodded.

I walked to the door and before i twist the knob, I turned around and I saw dad looking at the picture of my mom. It has been a tough 5 years for him. I went out hoping that tonight I can set things straight with Sofia and get an answer.

I went back to the ballroom and I see Sofia talking with other guests, I decided to join her.

"How's the ball?," I slipped into the conversation and looked at Sofia, her hair was dropped in front of the sides of her neck.

"Magnificent, you can never throw a ball that's as Grand as the Rethopians," the guest said and raised his wine.

"We try our best after all," I commented, "If I can just steal my fiance for a moment please," I said and the guest nodded.

"Of course," he said and gave a sweet smile.

I looked at Sofia and saw a dark circle on her neck. I decided to brush it off, but I know fully well it's from Hugo.

I took Sofia far away from the ball.

"What's wrong?," she asked, and there she is again, the reason I fell in love with her. I can look a a thousand ladies all day, but the would never match her, she's unique, and I know I don't deserve her.

"Can I get my answer now?," I asked and then she sat down, I know she has a lot to say.

"I thought 2 weeks?," she asked and I sat down beside her.

I exhaled," I need the answer tonight, I can break off the engagement tomorrow," I said.

"Why the change of heart?," she asked and I looked down at my shoes.

"More like a change of mind," I said remembering the conversation with my father earlier.

She looked up, "You real want the answer?," she asked me.

"I'm sure"

"Arden, it's a no," she said, even though I know the answer, why do I feel like I expected different answer. A part of me wished that she would say yes and stay, but it's the opposite and my head doesn't like to accept the information, but it will stay there forever.

"I thought so," I said trying to stay positive through all of this, "You're considered as a free woman tomorrow if you like or you'll go straight to your prince charming."

"Arden, we can still be friends" she suggested, I thought about and I know it will hurt, but if being her friend says that I get to see her every now and then, I'll accept it.

"Thank you," she said and I looked at her hoping I could kiss her one last time before letting her go and I did.

I felt the pain in that kiss, but it wasn't truly a goodbye, and I also felt that.

"I hope you find someone Arden, I really hope you do," she smiled.

"I will, but she won't be you"

Sofia The First : Is the Time Right?On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara