❆ ❆ XVI. JAE ❆ ❆

Chiro just had to get himself kidnapped by pirates.

Why can't anything ever be smooth...

He'd wanted clear skies and calm waters and easy sailing to Qiluca! Sure, there'd be stops along the way, and Kumari wanting to sightsee, but that was exactly as many detours as Jae wanted to take. Pirates, though? Groan.

So now he has to fight off pirates, save Chiro, and get the train back in order.

Work work work.

"We have to go after him!" Kumari cries, going to to the edge of the railing. She takes the shawl wrapped around her waist and ties it around the rope. "Coming?"

He quickly grabs his jambiya from where it lay on the ground, "Coming!"

Kumari had a good enough idea on how to get there, anyways.

Most of the pirates were still on the roof — raids take time, and Qilucan metal is very strong. They'd be sawing for hours but they would be undeterred, so Jae needs to find a way to uh, deter them. As it were.

Kumari and Jae zip after Howl, his first mate, and Chiro. Kumari's laughing and Jae shakes his head, then laughs with her. It's kind of fun, actually. If only they weren't in mortal danger.

They land feet-first on the deck of the ship.

"Gasp!" Kumari says, instead of gasping, which Jae does.

It's a very nice ship, Jae can't help but admit. It's squeaky clean wood, seemingly brand new, maybe even recently built, but Jae thinks that's not the case. He looks over and he can see the lettering on the side, the name of the ship that he'd spotted with his binoculars. 

He looks back around the deck, taking in the masts and the sails and the amount of crates scattered around — all the loot they'd gathered over time

He looks back around the deck, taking in the masts and the sails and the amount of crates scattered around — all the loot they'd gathered over time. At the top of the mizzenmast, the Jolly Roger flies proudly.

"I swear to you Kumari, I will sink this ship," Jae says, but Kumari doesn't seem to be paying much attention.

She walks by a small white smudge. "Look! We're on the poop deck."

Jae can't contain his laughter, but that's what gives them away to Howl's first mate.

"You two again!" He snarls, and the scar on his lip doesn't help his expression.

"Us," Jae waves. "Heyo. We want our illusionist back."

"I will cut you!" Kumari says, reaching into Jae's vest and pulling out his other knife.

"You know me inside and out," Jae jokes, and it's Kumari's turn to laugh.

"We'll see who has the last laugh when I blow your train to smithereens!"

And he rushes to a cannon, grabbing a large black sphere and loading it.

"Wait no!" Kumari runs, and jumps on him, plunging the knife into his neck.