❆ ❆ XIX. JAE ❆ ❆

Jae generally doesn't like kings very much.

And he felt like he was well within his right to feel that way - he'd only had the "honor" of meeting one, and that was Kumari's dad. Jae had seen how he treated his own daughter, let alone how he treated a street rat.

So it strikes him as... Off, when King Mfalme greets them so much like... Not royalty.

He has kind gold eyes, and he's fairly young, younger than Kumari's father. His hair is braided, cascading down and around his head, little wooden beads on the ends. His dark skin has decorative red markings, painted displays of his life experiences. Jewelry runs up and down his arms and legs, necklaces around his neck. Made of wood and gold and glass...

"Funga, alafia! Karibu Huven!" He welcomes them with a smile, stark white teeth in deep contrast to the darkness of his skin. "It it is lovely to see such wonderful new faces."

He takes Kumari's hands with both of his and shakes them enthusiastically, Kumari returning the gesture with one of her light laughs. He moves to Jae and does the same. Jae's tempted to push his hands away but he doesn't want the king to turn on him... He forces a smile and the king moves over to Chiro.

And Jae can't help but be suspicious.

He's a conspiracist, after all.

It's in his nature to be suspicious.

Or paranoid? No... Kings are not kind.

"Would any of you like a gift?" The king suggests. "It is rude to have guests depart with a gift from the host. Perhaps I should give a necklace to the young lady? Or a hunting knife, for you young men. Or..."

Jae likes the sound of a new knife, and the king notices his expression change immediately.

"Give the boy a knife," he chuckles, and an ivory knife is deposited into Jae's hands before he can even blink.

He wants to hand it back but then he remembers the same thing he'd told Kumari.

It's rude to refuse gifts.

That seemed so long ago.

"I'd love a necklace but, Chiro," Kumari nudges their companion. "Didn't you have something really important to ask?"

Chiro hesitates, but the king looks at him curiously.

"Ask me anything," he assures. "The King of Huven can give anything to his guests!"

"I..." Jae watches as Chiro gulps. "I would like a spell. The spell that y-you use to protect your kingdom?"

The guards standing behind Mfalme — Jae had somehow not noticed them — immediately step forward, barking at Chiro, "How dare you ask for our most sacred of treasures, as if it's a simple jackfruit?"

"Calm down, calm down!" Mfalme insists. "Why do you desire it?"

"To protect our train from pirates," Kumari fills in. "We're traveling all the way to Qiluca and we don't think the Ocean can bear another attack!"

"And why should we give it to some children like you?" The other guard demands.

"Because I'm a Princess!"

Jae knows his forehead is going to sting later from how many times he's slapped it.

"Guards, please! I am not my father, and you are not my father's guards."

They shift uncomfortably, silenced.

"Dear girl," the king tuts. "You did not strike me as an ordinary traveler, and neither did your friend."

"I am a magician," Chiro confirms.

"Ah! So that's how you'll use the spell... I see. Wanting to protect your train is a wonderful cause, little Princess, but I do not know the spell."

Kumari frowns. There's a look of panic on Chiro's face.

"What do you mean you don't know?" Jae demands, losing sense of all courtesy.

"My father before me read the writings on the temple, but he never taught it to me. I thought I could not learn it without guidance, but my precious daughter did."

"Your father," Chiro mutters. "Ohhh. That was the king who didn't let us exit the train last time..."

"My father had a reputation for being too hard on guests. I am his opposite."

"Is there a way we could ask the princess?" Kumari begs, hands together as she pleads.

"If only there was," he sighs. His gold eyes seem duller. Now Jae notices all the tired crinkles under his eyes, and he doesn't seem as young anymore. "My little angel was kidnapped by bandits not a week ago, held for ransom, and even my best guards cannot locate her."

"Oh no," Kumari frowns.

"Can't you pay the ransom?" Jae asks.

"I may just have to. The deadline is tomorrow evening."

"They'll probably be leaving Huven after that," Jae says, and tries to ignore the tear that slips out of the king's eye.

Mfalme sighs again, "My sweet girl... Any treasure is worth getting her back. I will pay the ransom in the morning."

"No you won't," Jae finds himself blurting.

"Hm?"

What am I thinking...?

"We'll rescue her."

"We will?" Chiro yelps.

"We need the spell," Jae hisses in a whisper. "We already went to all this trouble!"

"Yes!" Kumari cheers. "We'll save your daughter! We saved Chiro from pirates, and some silly bandits are hardly as scary! We'll get her back."

The king smiles, "Asante, asante, thank you thank you! And as a reward, I shall ask my daughter to teach your magician the spell to protect your train."

Kumari salutes her usual Cevalonian salute. Chiro bows like a Qilucan.

Jae just slaps his forehead again.

We're not getting any sleep tonight.