Ch 38 - Tony Doesn't Share Well

This is Part 3 of the mini Pepper and Peter bonding series.
Part 1 - Ch 04
Part 2 - Ch 05

_____________

“Boss, Peter Parker has just entered the building.”

Tony looked up from his lab table confused. He glanced at the monitor in front of him, searching for the date. It was a Wednesday, yes, but he was fairly sure that this was an off week. However, Peter being here suggested otherwise, so Tony figured he may as well ask FRIDAY for confirmation. “We don’t have lab time scheduled today, do we?”

“No, sir.”

Alright, well at least he wasn’t so focused on work that he managed to skip a week, which of course had never happened before. Unfortunately, that meant the list of reasons Peter might currently be in his tower were… not great.

“Okay,” Tony sighed, preparing himself for the worst, “is he currently dying or otherwise severely injured?”

“Mr. Parker appears to be in fine health, sir.”

Not the answer Tony was expecting, but he certainly wasn’t going to complain about it. So maybe Pete just stopped by to hang out. It had happened before, albeit not a lot, and granted he usually at least texted first, but maybe Tony’s whole ‘mi casa es su casa’ thing had finally gotten through to the kid.

“It may be of note that he appears to be accompanying Miss Potts.” Or maybe the kid was a little traitor out to break his heart and destroy his soon-to-be marriage.

“FRIDAY, pull up the live feed.”

His monitor came to life as it showed the video from a security camera in one of the elevators. There stood Peter Parker, undoubtedly focused on Pepper, hanging off her every word as if it was that of God. Well, Tony couldn’t really blame the kid, Pepper had that way about her.

Tony focused in on the woman, and though she looked gorgeous as ever, she also looked far too pleased with herself. “What are you up to?”

It was meant to be a rhetorical question, muttered to himself as he attempted to work out the exact nature of his fiancée's betrayal, but FRIDAY, ever helpful, spoke up, “They appear to be on their way to Miss Potts’ office, sir, shall I alert them that you’re looking for them?”

Tony sighed, “No, FRIDAY, that’s not necessary,” He turned back to what he was working on before the interruption. “But keep them up on the monitor and tell me if they start doing anything nefarious.”

“Nefarious, sir?”

“Yeah, you know, evil, diabolical, plotting my demise, that sort of thing.” Tony didn’t even bother to look up as he spoke, focusing instead on the blueprints in front of him. “I’m pretty sure there’s a dictionary somewhere in your coding, keep up.”

“I’m not sure I understand, boss. Miss Potts has never displayed any worrisome behavior, nor has Mr. Parker. In fact, on several occasions you have referred to Mr. Parker as, quote, ‘too good for this world’. Has something changed that I need to be aware of?”

Tony put down his pen, his head falling into his hands. He rubbed his forehead as if the mere act of talking to his AI was exhausting. “Just keep an eye on them and tell me if they do anything weird.”