Membership Has Its Privileges (Part 1)

I shrieked, trying to tug myself free with all my might.

Festos sighed and placed his palm against the barrier.

Threadlike strands of fiery purple and orange swam up from the depths of the barrier and wriggled their way toward Festos. The strands merged to form a glowing "N" under his palm.

I was able suddenly to pull my hand away.

Hannah gasped.

"Such theatrics," Theo said.

"I know," said Festos with a saucy grin, choosing not to interpret Theo's comment as a slight. Part of the wall slid noiselessly away to admit us, and just like that we were through.

The space beyond was filled with people. I stepped inside, bouncing on my toes in wonder.

"I get to say 'I told you so' now, right?" Festos sounded smug.

"I'll give you this one," I replied, half-turning, unsure of where to ogle first. "Membership does indeed have its privileges."

I'd expected some kind of posh building. But no, we stood on the top level of a colosseum. Very much like the one found in Rome, including, I guessed, its size. The one obvious difference was that this space was set down into the earth, rather than sitting on top of it. So while I was on the fourth floor of the ringed arena, I was on ground level. I could see all the floors below me, sloping down and away, since the inner walls were only about waist high and topped with railings.

And this colosseum had a roof. The outside wall on the top tier curved up into a ceiling with a tiled pattern—thousands of white, dark purple, and lavender tiles, all seemingly lit from within. As I stared up, some tiles got brighter while others dimmed. I found myself getting lost in the trippiness of it all.

Theo waved a hand in front of my face. "Look at something else for a bit. You're swaying."

I was getting a little dazed so I turned my attention to the four levels. Through the archways ringing each tier, I saw that every level boasted a multitude of cozy seating areas in sleek, dark groupings. Balls of light—not flame, not torches, just golden balls of light—were mounted every few feet along the walls. They gave the impression of millions of candles, adding a much needed intimacy to the cavernous space. So did the oases of greenery centered around the flowing water features, that dotted each floor.

The electronica that played through invisible-yet-perfectly calibrated speakers grabbed me in my gut and in my hips, making me want to abandon myself to swaying sensuality. But the music took second place to the clientele. Gods, goddesses, demigods—this was the place for the Greek pantheon to see and be seen. Everyone looked young and beautiful in a way that mere airbrushed mortals could only fantasize about.

It wasn't all human forms either. I saw centaurs chatting up daemonae, and on the floor below, a siren held court amidst male and female admirers.

"Interspecies," said Hannah, her eyes gleaming, "very nice."

The waitresses were all nymphs with slender flowing bodies clad in seaweed, river pebbles, or leaves. Yet the flora these girls sported could have upstaged any Paris couture on the catwalk.

Silk dancers performed aerial ballets high above the dance floor. They spun and arced from billowing ribbons of silver and gold, like acrobats in Cirque du Soleil.

I squinted, my head tilted upward, trying to see what the silks were attached to. The answer, I saw was nothing. The silks were actually gossamer wings that sprouted from the dancers' backs.

"It's so beautiful," I sighed.

Hannah nudged me. "Check out the dance floor."

I leaned slightly over the railing and gazed toward the bottom level. The floor was packed with bodies jammed so tightly together that they appeared to be moving as one. Even from this top level, I could see the ecstatic expressions.

"They're all relatively human size," Hannah said.

"We're on Earth," Festos said, like it was the most obvious explanation in the world.

We were quiet for a little while. Lost in the music. Then, there was a voice beside me.

"My favorite patrons. Welcome."

My head swiveled around. All this gawking was quite the workout.

Beside me stood an androgynous figure that was definitely not human. It was slightly too tall, and its eyes gleamed yellow in its ebony skin. Its fitted black shirt and slacks did nothing to help me guess the gender. Neither did its close-cropped hair, dyed platinum blonde.

I felt both a centeredness and great power coming off it, so figured it was probably a god of some sort.

The being embraced both Theo and Festos warmly.

"Nyx!" Festos leaned in to kiss both cheeks.

This was Nyx? Goddess of Night and successful club owner?

Nyx read my face and gave me an amused smile. "Do not assume all goddesses come in the same flavor, little one." Her gaze swept slowly over me. "Hmm."

My eyes narrowed as I stared her down. Or rather up, since she towered over me. "Yes?" I said.

She cocked one perfect eyebrow. Perfectly. "A lot of chatter over you. I was not sure what to expect."

I shrugged. "Most don't."

"It appears much of the rumor is true."

"Probably, more is false."

Her smile grew genuine. "Enjoy yourself, Sophie. And welcome, finally, to Nyx."

With a sweeping bow, she left us.

I watched her go, puzzled. "Why finally?"

Festos made a face. "Persephone wouldn't be caught dead with this riff raff."

Her loss. Happily, I had better taste.

But no hearing, since with a delighted shriek, Hannah flung herself happily into her boyfriend's arms and shattered my eardrums. "Pierce!" she squealed.

I tried not to gape at his appearance like a slack-jawed yokel but I wasn't entirely successful.

Hannah turned to me with a raised eyebrow. "Something you want to say, Kitten?"

Yes. If I'd been capable of speech.

I was used to Pierce looking like he belonged in an Abercrombie catalogue what with his tousled sun-kissed hair, and amazing green eyes. But this was club porn. He wore slouchy jeans in the same pale gold as Hannah's dress. Giant gold wings extended from his back. Two bands of brown striped each one. And every feather was long and full. I tried very hard not to make inappropriate comparisons.

Festos shot me a smirk, so I knew that my smut-mind had company.

While the wings were definitely impressive, his chest was a masterpiece.

For starters, it was bare.

And ripped. Holy crap was he ripped. Compelled like a moth to a flame, I reached out a finger to touch his abs, but Hannah smacked my hand away before I could reach them.

I shook it to take away the sting. "Possessive much?"

"Next time you lose the whole arm. And that's just because I love you."