43. If we meet again

Jen POV

I knocked on Mia's door and waited for her to open. Replaying my convincing speach in my head over and over again feeling a little nervous. After a while of silence I knocked again feeling impatient.

Was she mad at me?

Is she sleeping?

I looked at the time and it was 7pm. She can't be sleeping this early. Putting my hand on the handle I open the door and peak inside to be met with a empty room.

"Mia?" I called out but no answer.

Oh? She's not here.

I breathed out in relief. She's probably with Alessa.
As soon as the thought left my mind I got tackled and stumbled back.

A familiar squeal and the smell of coconut filled the air. Alessa.

"Jen!" She whined and I already know that tears are streaming down her face.

She's so emotional.

"You- You. I-I." She stuttered through her cries.

I patted her back and hugged her back.
"Hey. Shh, I'm okay." I tried to calm her down.

After a short while she finally breathed normally and wiped the tears away from her pretty pale face. I explained to her I am okay and she told me briefly about what happened while I was "a cabbage" she called me.

"Where's Mia?" I asked Alessa.

"I was actually looking for her. I thought she was with you in your room."

We turned and walked to my room and it was also empty. We looked at eachother questioningly. As I step closer to my bed I see a letter on my pillow and I imeditely grabbed it and ripped it open to read the letter.

"Jen,

8 years ago when we met you think that I saved you from a place in hell but you never knew that meeting you also saved me from my personal hell so thank you. Thank you for beeing my friend and my saviour.

I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye to your face but instead through this letter. I knew if I spoke to you you would try and convince me to stay and for you I would do it. When I saw you and Giovanni I knew I wouldn't be able to ask you to leave. The look on your face filled with happiness that I have never seen before would make me guilty if I tried to take you away from that.
Therefore I chose to leave myself. This is not the life for me.

Please do not look for me as I do not wish to live in this type of life.
I will remember you and I hope you find true happiness.

If we meet again.
Love, Mia."

The letter shook in my hands and I felt a lone tear trickle down my cheek.

She left. Just like that.

"If we meet again." I whispered.

We used to say it for every mission we had together. It wasn't a promise but more of a hope that we will be able to meet again.

Sadness filled my chest and all I wanted to do was to find her and bring my best friend back but I know I can't be that selfish. I broke my promise to her about leaving once we're done. I always knew she didn't want to be here and it seemed as if her relationship with Angelo was complicated enough to leave.

I will respect her and her wishes.

"Hey what's that?" Alessa spoke and I jumped at her voice.

She snatched the letter from my hands and quickly read throgh it. I saw shock on her face and it was quickly replaced by sadness and then anger.