November 3, 1968

Jonathan watched the television contented, but not elated; reserved - Perhaps too reserved - for a five year old.

Bugs and Daffy danced across the screen in unison, singing "This is It" in their black and white splendor, Mel Blanc's cartoon voice carrying beyond the den to the kitchen where his mother made breakfast.

Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner cartoons were the best part of Saturday.

Only two days earlier the television was buzzing on about the President of the United States of America.

Mr. Linden B. Johnson decided to quit bombing North Vietnam because of negotiations with France, or something like that.

One whole day later, the Air Force stopped what everyone was calling Operation Rolling Thunder.

All the thunder was done.

Jonathan could not figure out what any of that meant; in Driftwood there was still thunder, and it still just kept rolling right across those gray, dirty storm cloud skies.

That was yesterday.

Today, the skies were - well, they weren't blue - but maybe they were less gray.

Less dark.

A whole new day, people were saying.

Was it not true that every day was a whole new day?

Still, mom and dad seemed happier. Less worried. That was most important to Jonathan.

Jonathan half heard, and fully ignored the sound of faint knocking at the door.

The knocking knock, knock, knocked again.

"Honey?" His mother's voice drifted out from the kitchen, just the slightest tone of go answer that door hidden in her motherly affection.

Jonathan sighed, an rolled his eyes. "I'll get it, I'll get it."

Jonathan stretched and stood to his feet, walking with a lazy Saturday morning strut to the front door. He paused at the door, cautiously listening. He could hear someone shuffling around outside. Jonathan open the door, careful to peer around it.

"Hello!" Nadjia waved, her voice inflicting hel-lo with musical quality. She had a bag lunch in one hand, crumpled in her small grip, and salutations in the other, still waiving with an excited happiness to see Jonathan. "Happy birthday, Jonathan!"

Nadjia leaned in and hugged him, her sack lunch smashing into his back. She kissed him on the cheek once, released him, and walked.into his house.like nothing happened.

"Hey, Nadjia. Thank you." Jonathan blushed.

Nadjia turned on her sneakered heel. "Sorry I'm late. My mom wouldn't let me out until my room was clean."

"How long did that take?"

"Forever. Ten minutes. It was the longest time ever."

"Well," Jonathan scratched at the back of his neck. "I'm glad you got done. The Bugs Bunny, and Roadrunner cartoons just started a little bit ago."

Nadjia walked in, and Jonathan shut the door gingerly behind her, taking her hand on the way back to the television.

Nadjia let him lead her to the television. "Do you know what I don't get?"

Jonathan found his place back in front of the television - what his dad would say was just too close - and say down, releasing Nadjia's hand along the way. "What don't you get?"

"How come it's called the Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner cartoon, but after they lift the curtain, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck come out and dance?"

Jonathan tried his hardest not to look puzzled, or confused. "I think..." His brow furrowed while he searched inside himself for an answer. "I think maybe the Roadrunner is shy."