September 27, 1964

Nadjia was a snugly swaddled wide eyed newborn staring Clayton in the eyes when he finally saw her. He felt a chill run down his back, the baby's blue eyes nothing like her mother's. "The mother?"

Doctors Lance, and Martin Bellar stood side by side. They exchanged looks. They spoke in unison. "...there was a complication."

"What kind of complication?"

Martin Bellar stepped forward, holding his hands up. "She's fine, now... but she died on the table, Clayton."

Clayton lifted an eyebrow.

Lance cleared his throat and stepped up past Martin. "Goodman, she died on the table."

Clayton felt a lump forming in his throat. He swallowed twice before he could clear his throat enough to speak. "She's gone?"

Lance shook his head slowly, staring at Clayton's shoes. "No. She died immediately after delivery. She just stopped... and then, on her own..."

Clayton sighed in relief. "On her own she started again."

Lance Bellar stared at Clayton wide eyed, his face pale. "Reviving someone on the operating table isn't unheard of. Someone reviving their self? It simply doesn't happen. It's like..."

"...like magick?"

"I was going to say it's like a miracle. I've been blessed to serve The Order a long time, Goodman Walker. I cannot say this with certainty, but I believe I would catch it if someone was casting or conjuring up some spell."

Martin Bellar had an expression of disgust. Lance, and Clayton ignored him.

"You're reasonably certain."

Lance Bellar nodded. "Beyond a reason doubt? I believe I'm certain. I certainly witnessed nothing to indicate any ritual, or utterance of incantation."

"Where was Amir? Where is Amir?"

Martin coughed. "He couldn't handle seeing Mrs. Sharif in labor. He stepped out... as far as where he's gone? I couldn't say. We don't know."

Clayton stared past them, at Nadjia swaddled tight in the arms of the midwife Grandma D. D grinned at him with her bright denture smile, and then turned her attention back to baby Nadjia.

Baby Nadjia turned her small head, and stared at Clayton again. "Doctors Bellar. Is it natural her eyes should look like that?"

Lance and Martin Bellar glanced at baby Nadjia. Martin made a strained expression and Lance took the lead on answering to Clayton. "Most babies I've ever delivered - that is not to say all of them - had blue eyes. Hers however will likely stay that shade of blue the entirety of her life."

"They're such a pale blue. Is she healthy?"

Martin considered the question. "Ten fingers, ten toes and a strong heartbeat. She can breathe on her own..."

"...what aren't you telling me?"

"She was conscious when we delivered her, and not long after her eyes were open. She did not cry during delivery, and not since. Not even a whimper."

"Is there anything the matter with the baby?"

"No. Goodman Walker, Nadjia is fine. She's healthy. Robust even, as robust as any newborn could be."

"...but no crying? Babies cry."

Martin Bellar looked between Lance, and Clayton. "Clayton, Nadjia's fine. I understand you're concerned, but you need not be."