December 31, 1979

Jonathan sat next to Nadjia on the layers of blankets atop their grassy knoll.

Nadjia was tense, and quiet.

Jonathan put his arm around her. "It's trash that they moved your Christmas formal to the new year."

Nadjia nodded.

"Hey, you okay?"

Nadjia placed a hand over her stomach. "I think so. I don't know, Jon. I'm uh. Late."

Jonathan sat there quietly with his arm around Nadjia. "No, I think you're right on time. New Year's is still about three minutes off, and..."

Oh, shit.

Nadjia heard him, though he said nothing aloud. "Yes, Jonathan. Late. Idiot boy.

Jonathan sighed. "Are you sure?"

"I think I would know better than anyone."

"Oh, man. Daddy's gonna take the T-Bird away."

Nadjia giggled, blinking back tears. "Jon, I'm not even out of highschool. What are we going to do?"

"Tell the truth. They're not going to be angry as much as you think. We're married in a year. Maybe we have to push the date up."

Nadjia was quiet for what felt like a long time. "It's midnight, baby. You're supposed to kiss me."

Jonathan did.

Overhead, there were no fireworks.
The weather did not permit.

The skies, characteristic of Driftwood, were gray, and thick with clouds. This was a long time now, the storm clouds, always threatening rain, but never fulfilling the promise. They were two of the few who still attended New Years in the Twin Knolls Park.

"Love me."

"Here? There's people!"

Nadjia shrugged. "So what?"

"All that lovin's put us in a dilemma already."

"Nobody comes up here, Jon. This is our place. Let us keep it that way."

✟ ☧ ✟

"Dad?"

Clayton, and Jonathan stood alone, searching for a proper tuxedo for the oddly after Christmas, Christmas Formal. "Jonathan, how is it you don't have a tuxedo?"

"There's no dances in Advanced Education. Never needed one. Dad, I need to talk to you, and it needs to stay between us... No one can know yet."

Clayton continued as though Jonathan had not spoken. "Okay. We'll go classic black for your tuxedo. Let's get you a few suits, too. A man should have suits."

"Dad!"

Clayton stopped shifting through the tuxedos. "Yeah, boy?"

"Nadjia's late."

"What are you talking about? The dance isn't even until..."

Oh, shit.

"Yeah." Jonathan nodded. "Late."