May 22, 1980

"Four goddamned cops, L.C.!"

Polovatski cocked an eyebrow.

"Wipe that expression off your face, or I'll have your badge! Four cops - good cops - and you know what? We're still trying to put Danesko back together! These men had families, children!"

"This is bigger, Cap! Bigger than four cops, bigger than me, or you! Bane..."

"...there is no Bane!" The window in Captain Falkner's office shook.

"Cap..."

"L.C.... Polovatski, I know you got your reasons."

"Don't."

"I should have listened to Psych."

"Don't."

Faulkner stood from his seat, and put his hands flat on his desk. "I'm pulling you off this thing. You need to get your head together. You new to come terms with what's long on."

"It's Bane, ya ignorant cuss!"

Captain Falkner stared at him. "What the fuck's a cuss?"

"What?"

"You just called me an ignorant cuss... look, L.C. this isn't personal. You have a one-hundred-percent arrest record. Your suspects were all guilty."

"Bad guys."

"No! It's impossible! What you do is impossible!"

"Cappo, come on. Let me do this, I can do this."

"Regulations say I have to take your badge, and your gun."

Polivatski drew his weapon, and emptied the cylinder on the captain's desk. He closed it up, and holstered it. "If I give you my badge, I'm not coming back. You think I can't do this as a private citizen?"

"You need to deal with you! You need to face what happened with Martha and Calliope!"

Frederick made to swing his fist at Faulkner, and stopped himself mid punch, "You're blind, Vance! You can't see the real problem when it's up in your face!"

"I'm only looking at you, Polovatski. You're way off the rails. Keep your badge. Go home. Take a month off. You need a vacation."

The door to Captain Faulkner's office opened wide. Randall, and Samael Grifford walked in with Clayton Walker in tow. Clayton closed the door behind him, and stepped to the side.

"Oh goddamnit." Polovatski threw his hands into the air.

"Good afternoon, Vance."

"Judges Grifford. Mr. Walker... what can I do for you?"

Randall Grifford smiled politely, his face creased with a history of the stress of his station, his hair white, an cropped low to his head in a tight crew cut. "I could not help but overhear your spirited debate."

"It's fine, it's over. I'm gone." Polovatski produced his badge, and tossed it on the captain's desk.

"Not so hasty with the badge, Detective Polovatski."

"I don't take my orders from you. Good day gentlemen."

"Peace, Detective. I'm here to settle something, and you are the... man... for whom I hoped to find."

"Detective Polovatski is on vacation."

"No, Cap. I quit."

"You are the one they're calling the Loose Cannon, yes? I heard tale of you, detective. You're on the Bane case, are you not?"

"No." Polovatski, and Faulkner's voices came in unison.

"Captain Faulkner, I have absolute respect for your position, and I know you have done your duty to Driftwood. I need the detective here to help me with this case."

"There is no case. There is no Bane."

"Oh, I assure you there is."

"Some big ass whack job with a taste for killing cops blows into town, and he has to be the next big thing? I don't buy it."

Randall smiled, baring a wide toothy grin. "It is not your job to buy it, or not. Crimes have been committed, and it warrants an ongoing investigation until he is captured, or subdued."

Faulkner, still standing with his hands on his desk, sank back into his seat. "I can assign some detectives to it."

"No, I would much rather see Detective Polovatski on this one. He is already faced of with this menace once, and walked away to tell the tale."

Captain Faulkner shot a look at Polovatski.

"I wasn't on duty."

"Detective Polovatski is on vacation,"

"Well cut it short, captain. We need his help in the matter."

"He needs a break."

"He needs to help us, and I need your cooperation."

Polovatski stood aside from the Griffords, and Clayton Walker.

Randall Grifford doubled down. "Captain Faulkner, there's been another murder. Outskirts, over at the Crossroads. Cassus Finley."

"Fine... but L.C, you're taking a partner."

"I don't need a partner."

"You're taking a partner, or your taking a vacation." Captain Vance Faulkner picked up his desk phone, and dialed an extension. "Paula, can you please send him in?"

A moment later the door opened. The Griffords, Clayton, and Polovatski turned.

"You gotta be kidding me! Captain, no!"

Officer - Detective - Alexander Fallon stood in the doorway in a shabby black wool suit, and removed a pair of mirrored aviator sunglasses. "You called for me, Captain?"

"Fallon, Polovatski. Polovatski, Fallon. You two've met. Get out of my office, all of you."

Polovatski grumbled.

"Oh, and Polovatski. Go talk to Felicia. She has some paperwork you need to sign."

"For what?"

"I've promoted you. Don't make me regret it, lieutenant."

Polovatski grunted.

"Dianne's making casserole tonight. Come by for dinner, and bring your partner. I'm not eating that shit on my own. Now get out."