February 1, 1964

Nida answered the door in a modest gray abaya, and nodded her head to both Clayton and Emily with respect. "You are early! Delightful, but we were not expecting you for another hour yet."

"Was it nine?" Clayton feigned embarrassment. "I was worried we would be late."

Emily rolled her eyes. "Oh, Clay."

"I know, Em."

"He's always lecturing me, Nida. If you're on time, you're late."

"All the same, welcome to our home. It is an honor to have you here."

Emily tilted her head, admiring Nida's plain attire, intense blue eyes, and decided immediately she liked the woman, regardless what Clayton thought. Emily extended a hand. "It's our pleasure, Mrs. Sharif. Clayton's told me so much about you."

"Please, call me Nida. I hope there was some good of me in your husband's tales. I can be frustrating to new friends." Nida took Emily's hand with a light, delicate hold and shook it once, releasing her hand immediately after.

Emily smirked. "He's done you no justice."

"Please, come inside. I prepared a place for the both of you at our table. It is our hope you may enjoy a meal with us, and perhaps we find there are more common things between us than there are different."

Emily half-curtsied, and stepped forward. Nida moved aside, welcoming Emily into her home. Clayton stopped before the threshold of the door. "It seems you've made a friend of Emily."

"I hope we should all be friends in good time, Clayton Walker."

Clayton nodded. "If we're going to practice at friendship, call me Clay."

"I do not believe you to be so malleable a man, Clayton Walker. It is no disrespect to you if I call you Clayton?"

Clayton considered the question. "So long as you don't use my full name, I don't see why not."

"Why not your full name?"

"Usually if someone's using my full name, I'm in trouble."

Nida stared at Clayton with a quizzical expression. "A man of your maturity can get into trouble?"

Clayton blushed. "Not exactly... but let's just say it usually means I'm sleeping on the couch."

Nida made no attempt to hide the amusement on her face. "Will you not please come into my home, Clayton? Amir is home, and I am sure you two will get along."

"Will we?"

Nida shook her head only once. "Nobody gets along with Amir. He is... sarie alghadab?"

"Irritable."

"...no. Mazeaj. Annoying."

Clayton laughed. "I hope he doesn't hear that."

"Our secret, Clayton. Our secret. Come into our home quickly, the air has a chill and we would not want you to become sick."

Clayton offered Nida a brusque smile, and nodded as he passed her. Inside the house was very plain. It was, for all intents and purposes one of The Order 'til safe houses. Less about comfort, and more about laying low. A place between places, usually while The Order deliberated on what they would do with the temporary residents. In most cases, guests were under protection of The Order, however application of an ultraviolet light was not something he would suggest. Even when cleaned, blood left its mark, and under ultraviolet light, the house would probably be visible from the sky.