January 31, 1998

"...as far as we can tell, there's no one left." Grifford's palms were flat on his desk, his gaze on David and Karen standing side by side.

David was first to speak.

"So, we've won."

Grifford grinned, but it looked more like a threat. "Sure. Absolutely. Let us give up our vigilance now that they're on the run."

Karen and David exchanged glances.

"You two look confused. David, good job on Sullivan. Dean's been relocated with Bishop to Pridewater to run the branch of The Order there."

"Dean made inquisitor? He failed a job, and he's promoted?"

"Tone, David Walker. No, there's nothing up there to judge. Dean was a thorn in my side, especially after the whole Guerrero debacle. Now he's Bishop's problem."

Karen cleared her throat, and Grifford nodded. "You're going to ask me about Bishop."

She nodded.

"He is moving his estate to Pridewater."

David nodded. "So we've not won."

"A battle, David. We won a battle. It is time we unroll the next step in our program."

"Next step?" Karen raised a brow.

"...our Coven Registration act."

"With respect, no witch is going to register with The Order."

"Your doubt is in the right place, Karen... but a handful already has. We displaced hundreds, and they had nowhere to go... and now The Order is offering them a second opportunity."

David raised his hand. "Their assets were seized, your honor. Homes destroyed."

"...which is also part of the remaining plan. The duplex units across from the Baywoods. A controlled environment where they could be monitored."

Karen scowled. "This sounds familiar."

Grifford laughed, and shook his head. "No, no. It's nothing like that. Once we have them registered, marked, monitored, and housed, we wait a while, round them up at nightfall, and take them to a place of execution."

Karen nodded. "This sounds exactly like that."

"Coven are a scourge on all life in this world, Mrs. Walker. All life."

* * *

David and Karen sat across from one another in the den of their home. Karen stares at the pictures she and David places on the mantle of the fireplace. Bart Walker, Clayton and Emily. There was nothing they could find on Jonathan. "I miss the kids."

David glanced up and locked eyes with her. "Well, lets go get the kids and move to Pridewater."

Karen grinned, but her expression dropped. "If only. We're needed here."

David sighed. "Parents of the year, you and I. We have kids, and now they're with Fallon."

"Give it time. Griff's retiring us soon."

"Yeah. About that. Final solution?"

Karen shook her head. "I don't agree with what he's doing - what we have to do, but we're bound by our laws."

"I know, I know, blood and binding. Whatever. There's hunting, and there's outright genocide. I'm not that person. Please tell me we're not those people." David's brow furrowed.

"It'll be a lot of Hail Marys and Our Fathers for us, David. Look, I've written the church and The Order out in Salem. I'll send them out tomorrow."