November 10, 1993

David stood, the faint ache in his legs a reminder of his long recovery. He stretched, arcing his back, and then relaxed. "I'm still not where I need to be, Monty."

"Recovery takes time, David." Monty chuckled. "You were out a long time, and you're nearly there."

"Nearly there. Nearly there, nearly there. It's all you ever say."

Monty's face became stern, and he swatted an open hand at David. David dodged it, feeling the ache in his neck, and back. He stumbled backward, but retained his footing. Monty swung at him again, this time with a closed fist. David deflected the punch, and countered, lunging at the agile physical therapist. Monty caught David's fist, sidestepping him, and throwing him by the wrist. David controlled his fall, rolling out of it, and landing on his feet.

"Nearly there."

David held his ground, controlled his breathing, and waited. "Your move."

"I made my point." Monty cracked his neck, and flexed his shoulders. "You're too hard on yourself. There are not many who could spend a year on their back out cold, and then just get up and walk home."

"That's not exactly how it happened."

"Close enough. Before The Order hired me to recover folk like you, I spent years helping people help their self. You ever see someone give up? Just quit?"

"I can't say I have."

"Well, it's awful. People - good people - with a lot less resources than you, crying like babies because they can't write their name, or walk. People who have to start all over again, rolling on their bellies, or learning to crawl so they can learn to walk again. People who have to learn how to hold utensils. Things we take for granted. I'd like to say I helped them all, but for some people, there are other, faster ways out."

"Why would anyone take their own life when they could just recover?"

"It is disheartening to hear questions like that... and I guess inspiring. Until you've been there, it's the kind of question people like you have to ask. People who never understand words like failure, and quit. Sadly, it does eat away at empathy. Your recovery's been quick. Maybe that mumbo jumbo they give you in school helps you along."

"The Rites and Blessings of The Order. I hope to make the order of James and John. I haven't had my rites and blessings. This is all me."

"My point, exactly. You're doing it, and you're doing it without cheating the natural order of things. While many in your position might break down, you've got your dreams of James, and Johns, rites and blessings, and it's your driving force. Imagine your life if you had none of that." Monty casually stepped up to David, and patted him on the shoulder.

"I'm sorry. It's frustrating. I do nothing. I accomplish nothing... outside recovery, I mean."

"You do nothing today. You do nothing tomorrow. One year from now, you do whatever it is you do, and you appreciate it a little more. You get your mumbo jumbo from your schooling, and you do it better than anyone else. You get your mumbo jumbo, and maybe you appreciate what that boost will do for you, you know... knowing what you couldn't do when you woke up to the world a newly reborn David Walker come from the land of some nightmare."

"...it was a little more than that."

"That part isn't my business. Trust me when I say I don't want to know anymore than I have to. This job pays well, but it doesn't offer nearly the same reward."

Not without effort, David folded this arms across his chest. "You make more than anyone in your line of work."

"Ain't all about the money, big man. Come on, let's go hit some weights, see if you've been doing your homework."