April 26, 1979

Nadjia sat in the waiting room. Jonathan lay across three chairs, his head on her lap. Nadjia stroked his hair.

"You know, in the year I was seeing her, I didn't get particularly attached."

"No?"

"Not really. She was fun, and good company... but I didn't love her."

"Good."

"Says Lady Von Trent."

"Please." Nadjia smiled, looking over Jonathan's face. "That lasted all of what, three months? He wants me to be someone I'm not. I'm not prim, or proper. I'm not dainty, and I'm not a damsel in distress."

"Are you two still friends?" Jonathan's eyes were closed.

"Yeah. As friends as any exes ever were. I think he's holding onto hope that I'll come around."

"Will you?"

Nadjia nudged the side of Jonathan's head, and he smirked. She stopped stroking his hair, and put her hand over his eyes. "Better?"

"Yeah. You'd never think words like cold, or sterile could apply to lighting. Would you ever go back to him?"

"I didn't want to be there to begin with... but you were right. It took not wanting to be there to really know I didn't want to be there."

"Maria cheated."

"Duh, stupid boy."

"Yeah, but with her ex."

"Victor, right?"

Jonathan put his hand over hers and pulled it over his chest, holding her hand tightly. "Yeah. Blessing in disguise, I guess. He knocked her up, you know. She already has a little girl. Gina. So new baby will have an older sister."

"How much older?"

Jonathan chuckled, and waved a hand. "Two or three years?."

"The scandal." Nadia giggled.

"You didn't hear?"

"Not until you told me just now. You are sure it is his?"

"Here's to hoping." Jonathan raised a pantomime glass, tipping it into the air.

"Jonathan Walker!"

Jonathan laughed, letting go her hand, and swinging himself around the hospital waiting room chairs so he could sit upright. He moved closer to Nadjia. "Honestly, I was impatient. She's not a bad girl but I just wanted out."

"You're mine, Jon. Hide behind anyone you want. I'll find you. I'll take you for my own."

Clayton came into the waiting room, an ear-to-ear grin on his face. "It's a boy! Come on, you two! Come meet your brother!"

✟ ☧ ✟

Jonathan stood outside the nursery. "Which one is David?"

Clayton stood behind he, and Nadjia. He pointed to a little writhing mass of wrinkly baby.

"No, I see the alien. Which one is David?"

Nadjia elbowed Jonathan in the ribs. "Stop it, Jon! He's perfect, Mr. Walker!"

"You're going to have to practice calling me dad soon."

"Jeezum crow! Can you at least wait until after she says 'I do'?" Jonathan was blushing.

He and Clayton scratched at the back of their necks simultaneously

Clayton laughed, and grinned a toothy grin, staring past Jonathan, and Nadjia. "David Thomas Walker, second born son of the House Walker."

"Oh, gosh... Thomas?" Jonathan made a face. "That poor baby."

"After your great grandfather."

"Well, at least you got the first name right." Jonathan put his hand to the window separating them from the nursery.

"I like his name!" Nadjia lay her head on Jonathan's shoulder, and he scratched at the back of his neck.

"Ugh. Thomas." Jonathan watched his baby brother squirm. The wrinkly, scrunchy eyed baby fussed, opening his small toothless mouth to cry. A nurse came by calmly and picked him up, giving him a bottle.

David fussed a moment longer, calmed, and clamped down on his bottle, eyes closing.

Clayton laughed out loud, and both Jonathan, and Nadjia startled. He put his hands on both their shoulders. "Our future is bright, kids."

✟ ☧ ✟

Back in the waiting room, Jonathan sat in one of the chairs, this time Nadjia laying across three, her head on his lap. He stroked her hair, and Nadjia looked content. "Isn't your mom due soon?"

Nadjia stared up into Jonathan's eyes, and bit her lip for a moment. "A couple more months, still."

"Do they know what it will be?"

Nadjia smirked. "I imagine a baby."

Jonathan ceased stroke her hair, and leaned over to stare Nadjia in the face. She opened her eyes, and looked into his. "A boy, or a girl, Nadj?"

"She's a girl. Mom wants to name her Suheila. Dad wants to name her Zeinab."

"I like the name Zeinab."

"The rule between my parents is Mom names the girls, Dad names the boys."

"...and so far, only daughters."

Nadjia smiled, closing her eyes. "Jon?"

"Yeah?"

"Are we ready to talk about us?"

"How about after Christmas Formal?"

"Will you take me to the Christmas Formal?" Nadjia felt light headed, the falling feeling in her stomach again. She opened her eyes, and stared into his, lost in the bright green of his eyes.

Jonathan shrugged, and stroked her curly hair. He used the quiet between them for a second of thoughtful silence, and nodded. "You know what? That sounds like the best night of our lives."

"So, yes?"

Decisions, decisions. "Yes."

Nadjia leaned upward and stole a kiss from Jonathan.