~77~

"So how do you think this morning went?" Haley asked Brighid in the gym locker room.

"Fine. I'm worried about bigger things. Nathan has me stressing that Jake could actually have a future in basketball. I'm afraid this baby is a big distraction" Brighid whispered to Haley before they walked out.

"Brighid" a girl called out following them from the locker to the hallway.

"Can I help you?" Brighid asked.

"Abortion isn't the answer" she said. Brighid looked at Haley appalled.

"Look. Whatever you heard it's not that. I-"

"I won't tell anyone. Consider coming to one of our meetings" the girl said before walking away. Brighid gripped the bridge of her nose before walking to class with Haley.

The two sat down in their seats ready for the test.

Twenty minutes in and the door opened.

"Brighid" Deb said as she opened the classroom door.

"Mom what are you doing here?" Brighid asked embarrassed.

"You have something that belongs to me" Deb whispered.

"Mom, I'm not doing this" Brighid whispered back. All eyes were clearly on Brighid now.

"Mrs. Scott we are in the middle of a test" the teacher announced

"I want my pills" Deb said her voice getting increasingly louder.

"Mrs. Scott"

"Don't!" Deb warned as she walked in. Brighid tried hiding behind her hands as her mom approached her desk. "I'm not leaving her until I get my damn pills"

Brighid scoffed before reaching into her bag. She placed the bottle of pills on her desk. "Take it but I'm warning you. It's either me or the pills"

Deb looked at Brighid before smirking and running off with the pills. Brighid let out the breath she had been holding in.

"Okay everyone back to work" the teacher announced. Brighid slid her chair out and walked out of the class sliding down the wall.
———
Later that day Brighid paced around the parking lot waiting for Jake get out of practice.

"Hey?" Jake called out saying goodbye to the teammates. He clung to his gym bag and seemed happy.

"I'm pregnant" Brighid blurted out. Jake looked around to make sure no one was around.

"For real? Like you're positive?" Jake asked. His hands ran through his hair.

"I went to the doctors. They confirmed it. Look I meant to tell you I just got scared. Tell me what you're thinking" Brighid begged as Jake took a step away. He unlocked his car door.

"I need some space" Jake muttered. He opened the door and slammed it as he climbed inside. He pulled away from the parking space leaving Brighid all alone.

"Brig?" Peyton called out.

"Peyton"

"You okay?" Peyton asked.

"Not really. Just told Jake I was pregnant and he stormed off. Not really sure where to go now since I'm avoiding my junkie mom and I would rather not live with my dad"

"I heard about that. You can come and stay with me. I have the spare bedroom across the hall" Peyton said. Brighid cheered up at the sound of staying with Peyton. "Come on" Peyton said wrapping her arm around Brighid.

The two chatted it up about Derek on the ride to Peyton's house. When they pulled up the two noticed the front door open.

"Maybe we should call the cops" Brighid muttered as she walked in behind Peyton.

"Hello?" Peyton called out wandering through the house. Brighid clinging tightly to Peyton. As they walked up the stairs and into her room they were met by Lucas, both girls screamed out of fear.

"It's okay. It's me.

"You jackass" Peyton said slapping Lucas playfully.

"Just wanted to make sure the house was okay before you came home. What's Brighid doing here?" Lucas asked.

"She's staying with me for a while. Really Lucas. I'm fine"

"Well it's all clear. I'm going home" Lucas said hugging Brighid before he left. The two sat on Peyton's bed laughing at the thought of a serial killer being in her house.

The next morning Peyton left the house in a panic leaving Brighid alone. She was storing the clothes she had brought with her when her cellphone rang.

"Hello?" Brighid answered. On the other line was Stanford, offering her a scholarship and a spot on the team. "Wow thank you. Yes I'll be in touch" Brighid said before hanging up the phone.

She sat down on the bed stunned by the news.

"Peyton" Lucas yelled as he ran up the stairs. Brighid jumped from the bed to see what was going on.

"She left. What's wrong?" Brighid asked Lucas. He glanced around the upstairs.

"Pack some things. We need to leave" Lucas said all worried. Brighid scared grabbed the few things she had brought with her. They headed outside to see Peyton pulling up.

"He thinks my dad is home. I should have believed you" Peyton cried as she hugged Lucas.

"Go grab your things. You both are staying with me" Lucas said. He threw Brighid the car keys while he helped Peyton pack. Brighid unaware of Derek's presence threw her bags into the trunk of Lucas's car before heading to the backseat. She waited for Peyton and Lucas to return before he drove them both to his house.