~50~

Tree Hill High formal was in a couple of days and Brighid was both dressless and dateless at the moment. Brighid was the river court practicing her free throws, away from her father's watchful eye, when a truck pulled up in one the parking spots.

"Wow didn't think I'd ever see this again" Jake commented as he walked up with his hands in his pocket. Brighid assumed he was talking about her playing basketball and her choosing to practice.

"I'm still on the team aren't I?" Brighid asked shooting the ball once more. It sailed smoothly into the net and rolled back towards her. She picked up the ball off the ground.

"I have a question to ask" Jake said.

"So do I" Brighid responded back. She slung the basketball under her arm which caused Jake to playfully steal the ball and shoot it.

"You first" Jake said.

"No, you can go" Brighid fought back getting nervous about bringing up high flyers. It was a big deal and one she had to make sure she was ready for and going to be fully committed to.

"Okay. I was just wondering if you had a date to the formal?" Jake asked. Brighid smiled.

"I don't. So are you asking me?" Brighid asked grabbing the ball back. She stood there with a smile on her face.

"Yes. So what do you say?" Jake asked shrugging his shoulders.

"It seems you're in luck. I'd love to" she smiled.

"So what did you have to ask?" Jake said remembering Brighid had a question of her own.

"Oh ah, it was about formal" Brighid muttered. "Want to verse each other? Or you scared I'll win?" She asked holding the ball out. Jake smiled grabbing the ball and dribbling it on the court.
———
The next night Brighid walked down the stairs with her hair and makeup done and her dress on.

"You look amazing" Deb exclaimed. Her mother and father were dressed for the dance as well since they were chaperoning. It was slightly irritating for Brighid that they did that.

"Who's the lucky guy? Let me guess that boy from the other night?" Dan asked hinting it was Felix. Brighid sighed at that comment. Before she could open her mouth the door bell rang. Dan opened it to find Jake on the other side.

"I should have known" Dan muttered stepping aside to let him in.

Jake smiled at Deb and Dan before looking at Brighid.

"One picture. Real quick" Deb commented grabbing the camera off the table. Brighid and Jake smiled for the photo before saying goodbye.

"Home by 11" Dan shouted. Brighid ignored him.

"You look great" Jake said as he pulled out of the driveway.

"You clean up nice as well" Brighid commented back.

They walked into the gym which was makeshift for the formal. The entrance had a sign that said dreams do come true, surrounded by balloons and streamers.

"This is definitely the most cheesiest formal I've seen" Brighid commented walking through the archway with Jake. On the opposite side was tables and lights with a dj playing music. Everyone from Tree Hill High was gathered inside.

Brighid looked around for Lucas who had promised to save them a seat at their table.

She spotted him on the right and walked over.

"Anna this is Brighid -" Lucas began.

"Anna, Brighid. I'm Nathan and Lucas' sister. Although you probably already know about the Scott drama. This is Jake"

"Hi nice to meet you" Jake politely greeted. Anna smiled at the two of them.

The music switched my cheerful to slow and peaceful for the slow dance. Jake and Brighid shared a look before walking onto the floor. Jake's hand wrapped around her waist as the two swayed to the music.

"I got invited to high flyers this summer" Brighid blurted out. She lifted her head from his shoulder to see his reaction.

"Okay" Jake said.

"Okay? Look I meant to ask you at the court the other day. I just got scared"

"Scared? I would support you in anything you'd want to do" Jake said. Brighid smiled.

"Three months is a long time" Brighid warned.

"I think we can manage" Jake reassured her. The two continued to sway to the music, Brighid's head nestled on his shoulder and in the crook of his neck.