~25~

Brighid was in the passenger seat of Keith's car as they drove to pick up Lucas.

"So how are you?" Keith asked.

"I'm good" Brighid answered.

"Don't listen to my parents. I mean I love them but damn are they judgey. You and Jake, I think you'll be okay" Keith continued. Brighid smiled.

"When um my dad had found out about Lucas was he happy?" Brighid asked. Keith looked at her with a furrowed look.

"I think Dan deep down was happy. I also think he saw it as an escape from basketball, from my dad's control. He was really happy to find out he was having a girl. Believe it or not. Both your parents were"

"He definitely saw it as an opportunity to live vicariously through us" Brighid muttered under her breath. Keith laughed at her comment.

"I think the divorce is good a thing. I know my mom is worried about us but they need this. I think we will all be happy in some sense"

Keith smiled back at Brighid as he pulled up to Lucas' house.

"Hey, didn't know you were coming" Lucas said as he strolled down the pathway. She held up the muffins she had brought making Lucas shake his head. "I see"

"Let me get in the back"  Brighid said opening the passenger door and leaving it open for Lucas. She slide into the back seat.

"So you excited?" Keith asked Lucas as he pulled away.

"Yeah, I'm excited to see her" Lucas responded.

"Italy, that's so cool" Brighid commented.

"You should have dinner with Karen one night. She can give you some pointers on raising Jenny" Keith said looking at Brighid through the rear view mirror.

"I'd like that. So uncle Keith looking forward to not watching Lucas anymore" Brighid said joking with Luke. The three laughed.

"No, I could never get enough. Although, it seems like yesterday I was kissing her goodbye at the airport"

"You kissed my mom?" Lucas asked confused. Keith turned to look at Lucas when a car horn blared. Brighid looked to her left to see car headlights heading straight at them. The car collided and the impact had pushed Brighid to the opposite side of the car. She clung to her arm which had felt extremely out of place and was throbbing in pain.

She opened the door practically falling onto the pavement.

"Keith" a voice yelled. Brighid looked up to see her dad rushing over.

"Lucas" Keith muttered. Brighid got off the pavement holding onto her arm.

"Brig come on" Dan whispered helping her to the car after he had placed Lucas in the back. Dan sped to the hospital parking in the ER drop off.

"I need help" Dan cried out. Brighid bit her lip trying to stop herself from screaming out in pain. After Dan had Lucas taken in he helped Brighid out of the car and into the ER.

"Sir we have this from here"

"She's my daughter" Dan said standing in the hallway. The nurses placed Brighid on a gurney and placed an oxygen mask over her face. A few breaths in and Brighid was knocked out.