Chapter 16

Carly

Carly

30TH June 2018

'My name is Ellis and your Miss?'

'Carly, nice to meet you, Ellis!'

I smiled at her, my face heating up as her eyes lingered a little too long on my face. Normally the bar was a bit quiet at this time, people coming in now again to get a quick drink before leaving. It was my go-to bar during times like this, and normally I'd recognise the people coming in and out, but not her, she was new.

My eyes wandered over her attire, not the usual outfit to wear at such a casual bar. She was dressed in a black and white suit, a short skirt and tight fitted white blouse with a couple of buttons loose at the top. Her hair was loosely tied in a bun above her head, strands of hair falling on each side of her face. I looked up and blushed as her bright ocean blue eyes caught me staring at her. She was beautiful, really beautiful.

I stared into the bottom of my glass, wishing the floor would open up and swallow me whole from the embarrassment. It wasn't every day someone as gorgeous as she would talk to someone like me. Despite my work colleagues telling me I was sexy numerous times, I didn't believe it. It was hard to believe when every single date I've been on was a disaster. I'm starting to believe I'm cursed.

I had gone on a date the previous week, the most perfect date, only to get a text the next day saying she met someone else. It was a crushing blow to my self-esteem and my pride. When I received that text, I cried myself to sleep, feeling used once again. It wasn't the first time I went on a date only to be told afterwards they weren't interested.

For the last couple of days, I went to this popular bar in Manchester's gay village. It was one of the only bars I felt comfortable drinking in. The atmosphere was electric on nights out, and the drinks were dirt cheap and bloody amazing. Today, I was here once more, wanting nothing more than to forget the other week. Drinking was my coping mechanism during my darkest moments. It was the only way I could forget.

'What's a girl like you doing in a bar on a Friday afternoon? She pulled her chair next to mine, placing her hand on top of my own. I bit my lip and smiled, blushing at the sudden bold move. She was oozing confidence, something I like in women.

'I'm sorry, too much?' She laughed, scooching back a little bit to give me some room. I shook my head, resting my chin in the palm of my hand. Her blue eyes twinkled in amusement as she reached out to tuck a stray strand of hair behind my ear. She was pulling all the stops tonight, using her charm to her advantage, and it was working.

The stomach was doing summersaults, the butterflies flapping their wings like crazy. I knew this feeling all too well. It was a dangerous feeling, one that got my heart ripped out from my chest numerous times. I wanted to scold myself, feeling stupid for taking an interest in a stranger, someone I've only been talking to for no more than a few minutes. Was I that easy to impress? I've not known this woman long and already she's charmed me with her pickup lines. Women like her rarely liked women like me unless it was for a one-nighter.