Chapter 32

She was ambivalent. Surely the angels would have mentioned something to her.

"Relax, Temperance," he began, the dance coming to an end. "Not all answers reveal themselves instantly. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Being the one that is chosen, you need to have faith and stop doubting. The answers will then come."

"I don't doubt," she refuted, but the declaration was rimmed with falsehood.

Her hand dropped from his as the music ceased and the other couples started to leave the dance floor. The band was also taking a break. Temperance noted that they put on a CD to play while they went inside for some refreshments.

Violet and Gaige walked over then, Violet noticing the tension immediately.

"Well, that was a flash from the past," Violet said laughingly, breaking the ice. "I haven't slow danced since high school."

"I thought the same," Temperance said, her eyes pleading to Violet.

"I'm going to use the ladies room," Violet suddenly announced, noting exactly what Temperance wanted.

"Temp, want to join me?" Violet asked, placing her clutch under her arm.

Temperance wanted to hug her right then and there. She needed the escape.

"We'll just be a few minutes," Temperance mumbled quickly and walked away, leaving Gaige and Roman standing there.

Roman watched her leave, his eyes assessing the people on the porch and then turning to the grounds when she finally entered the house.

"Well, I have to say, I'm glad I surprised my girl. I was a little pissed that she was intending to go stag with Temperance," Gaige said, breaking the silence.

They walked over to the refreshment table. Roman declined a drink, but Gaige asked the bartender to pour him a gin on the rocks.

"I feel a little guilty for saying that," Gaige admitted, then nodding and thanking the bartender.

"Why?" Roman asked, interested.

Gaige paused, a look of pity lining his face.

"Because Temperance has been through a lot in the past year," he took a swig of his drink and then added. "I don't think I should say too much, being that you are a stranger to Temperance and all, but let's just say her mom's death is quite perplexing."

Aah, so there lies the bridge to doubt, Roman thought.

"What happened?" Roman inquired; his eyes looked to Gaige and then back to the lawn.

"A sudden death without much explanation goes down in the books as suspicious for me. Temperance was the one that found her."

He shrugged, taking a deep breath. "The coroner was just as puzzled. Genevieve was healthy as a horse."

"What was the cause of death?" Roman asked.

"Shock,"Gaige answered, his tone stale.

Roman lifted both brows. "From what?"

Gaige cocked his head to the side." That, my friend, is why everyone was, and still is, troubled by her death. Not a soul can explain a damn thing. No one just dies of shock, Roman. It's unnatural without a trauma occurring."

They were still close to the refreshment table, Gaige nodding to a few others that neared them.

"I'm sure that was traumatizing for Temperance," Roman offered, his eyes still searching.