Chapter 9

"Exactly," she put her hands up in the air. "Now please convince Temperance that something is definitely awakening around here," she gazed at Temp, pointing her finger. "And I think she is the center of it."

"You're saying that the man we saw tonight works in Heaven?" Temperance snorted.

"Well, he doesn't live on Earth! That I am certain of," Violet rebutted.

Temperance stood then, looking out at the street. "Violet, we are strange people, but that sounds like something that the lady Hazel would say."

"Temperance, I know your faith has been tested," Lilly got up then, placing her hand on Temperance's shoulder. "But perhaps Violet is right," she said it softly and tenderly. "Who is to say that it is not possible?"

"I am," Temperance voiced, and then softened when Lilly stood back.

Temperance shrugged. "I'm sorry Lilly, but I just don't believe in that even being the slightest bit possible."

"Well, before I start my weekly sermon to you, young lady, how about we stop for a few moments time here and gather our thoughts," she linked her arm around Temperance and started for the front door. "I think some chamomile tea is in order," she looked back and winked to Violet who was now following them inside.

Lilly knew what was happening. Genevieve had warned her of it. If it were to occur, it would be during Mardi Gras. And although she wasn't certain this was it, she wasn't not certain either.

"I like what you've done with the place Lilly," Temperance approved, looking around the quaint storefront. The walls were now a light mist gray, almost like a storm, but held hues of the sun in them. There was barn wood shelving behind the counter that had vibrant colored apothecary jars filled to their rims with healing herbs. Lilly wasn't a pharmacist per se, but many locals came to her for ailments that weren't being restored by medications prescribed by their doctors.

She had acquired a steady clientele and transformed her downstairs into her shop. Violet and she lived upstairs, making it convenient for both of them. Violet both loved it and hated it. She said she could hear the prayers of people that walked through the door. Sometimes, on very busy days, her head would ache with all the thoughts of others pouring into her mind. Days like that, Lilly would look exhausted, but still managed to maintain a sort of peace in her eyes. As if she was satisfied with her days work.

"Would you like some vanilla in it?" Lilly asked, reaching up to a clear turquoise jar that had fresh vanilla beans stacked neatly within.

"Sure," Temperance responded, plopping down on a deep plum velvet chair.

Violet took a seat on the sofa across from her. She was scrolling through her phone again. "You want to attend that party with me on Friday?" Violet asked, not looking up.

"You mean the ball, right?" Temperance asked, looking over to Lilly who was warming a teapot on her small stove that she just recently had installed so her customers could have tea if they'd like.

"That's the one," Violet answered, placing her phone in her purse. "It will be fun," she promised. "We haven't been to one of those in years. I'm surprised I got an invite."

Temperance chewed the inside of her cheek. "I'm not sure I'm in the mood. Why don't you take Gaige instead?"

"Please," Violet sneered, and then continued. "He is getting on my nerves lately. Besides, you're my best friend. I want to have a girl's night. Who knows what trouble we can find," Violet said, beaming a wide smile.