Chapter 35

"I see the lights are now on," Roman's father, Minco, stood beside him assessing the house of the girl. He had come to Angels & Kings tonight and noticed his son was not there. Knowing in his gut where he would be, he took the liberty and arrived unannounced. He had seen Roman there, a loyal sentry, in front of Temperance's house, his fealty to her never ceasing.

The two standing side by side looked identical, except for the gray in Minco's hair. He wore denim jeans with a brown and red checkered cotton shirt that was tucked in, revealing a silver Concho belt adorned with a beautiful turquoise buckle.

He watched his son's jaw clench, saw the way his eyes stared steadily at the windows before him. He prayed to the Creator that his son would not allow emotion to intertwine with his task, as any diversion could bring him death. His son was bringing honor to the Choctaw tribe with this mission, and he was very proud of the man he had become.

"You know son, beauty can lead us adrift," he said it with sympathy, as he knew his son could not have the girl, even if a connection were to ever occur between the two. That was part of the deal. Roman can never love the chosen one.

"Dad, I know what you're going to say," Roman began.

Minco held up his hand, offering peace. "Okay," he paused, his eyes now moving to his son's profile. He placed his hand on his shoulder, feeling the strength of him beneath his palm.

"I am just making certain that you do not forget."

Roman would not forget − it was at the forefront of his mind, now more than it ever was. In silence and in the secret of his own thoughts, he remembered the way Temperance had kissed him. Recalled the way her body felt when he held her at the riverbank tonight. For a moment he wished he could have her, even if it were only a night. She intrigued him... Not because of who she was and what she was chosen to do, but because the way she exuded independence and strength, yet under the amber of her eyes he saw a girl that needed saving. He saw an ache that he wanted to abate — a deep hurt that he wanted to quell...

"How can I forget that fact, Dad?" Roman rebutted, his voice layered with ice now.

"I know what I am commissioned for, and I will do just that. I will protect her and that is all."

His father nodded, but did not speak any further on the subject.

"You will be at the tribal meeting tomorrow, correct?" Minco inquired.

Roman shook his head, clenching his jaw with irritation.

"Yes... The lamb will be there for the slaughter."

"It is only to talk, son. The tribe has a right to hear of the progress. They are part of you, just as you are a part of them."

Minco shook his head then, saddened by the way his son viewed this. The tribe did not appoint this for him, but rather Roman was born with the markings; chosen by another realm. It wasn't until Roman's birth that the tribe was aware that the legends that were spoken were true truths now coming soon to pass.

"I will be there," Roman affirmed, right before shifting into a white hawk and flying away into the night.

Minco stared after him shaking his head heavily, and then walked to his truck that had been parked a block away.

*

Violet allowed the curtain fall, a satisfied smile upon her face.

"I was right," Violet said to herself in amazement. She had been ready for bed when she heard the distant prayer of a familiar voice. She listened to it earnestly, aware that the prayer was from Temperance. It was a bonus that while she listened, she witnessed Roman and the other man outside of Temperance's house. Although their voices were very faint, she knew Roman's intentions.