Book Two: Chapter 13

Outside the Hall of Judgement, Roger followed the girls through a vast open plain field, coated in grass and small rocks. No mountains or anything unique, except for the enormous firing mountain, far in the right. Tartarus, the only place that looked like hell itself.

Fog drifted around beneath the cloudy sky that strangely shimmered light through the mist. Magic or not, but it shined the plains enough for Roger to see.

On the far left, Roger noticed a vast tropical region across a river, blooming with jungle trees and colorful flowers. It looked breathtaking, just like a warm calmful resort.

"What is that place?" Roger asked.

Labda gazed at the paradise. "That is the Elysium."

"It is where all the good souls go to," Cilla explained. "No pain, no suffering. Just a wonderful place to relax for all eternity."

Katina snorted. "It sounds like a boring place to me."

Labda snickered. "I think the Tartarus would be a perfect place for you, Katina."

"You mean all of us?"

"I meant if Hades didn't transform us into his new guardian, he would had judged you to live in the inferno prison with the other monstrosities. But on the bright side, you would fight them for all eternity."

Katina grimaced. "Fighting too long would still bore me."

"Maybe the Asphodel desert could suit you," said Cilla.

"But there's nothing there!"

"Then be happy you are a Cerberus," Labda ordered. "You would face a worse fate if-"

"Excuse me, but we move on please?" Roger asked.

Labda sighed. "Sorry. No more banter. We're almost there."

As they continued down the trail, Roger glanced at the Elysium wilderness again. Could his deceased relatives be living there now?

Only the Greek gods could tell him, or he could cross the bridge over the river to see for himself. But he has to help the Cerberus women help Hades reclaim his throne. And the souls living in the Elysium will not remain safe.

Further and further, an enormous castle faded into view from the mist as if it was appearing from nowhere. It seemed to be made of glittering black obsidian with a tall portico standing over stone steps toward the iron doorway. Eight towers and spires standing on top of each other over the square structure. The castle looked more like a gothic vampire castle than a Greek palace. Hades must have adored dark features to match his realm.

"There it is," said Katina with a glare. "The house of the lazy rich bastard."

Labda snarled. "You need to stop insulting our god, Katina. If he isn't back on his throne, the Earth and the Underworld will fall."

Katina rolled her eyes. "Maybe we should take the throne for ourselves."

"And anger Hades?" Cilla shivered. "No way! He will tie us in tight ropes again!"

"Well, if he doesn't come back, who will?"

Roger thought about that, until three black figures glided through the air from the palace. They dived down toward Roger and the Cerberus, and then they landed on their talon feet.

Three of them were bird women, or that was how they appeared in front of Roger's eyes. Bat-wings stretched behind them as black snakes sizzled on their heads, similar to Medusa's snake hair. Red eyes, sharp teeth, pointy ears, and all of them wore black dresses with collars around their necks. They even looked like triplets with similar features. Like their feet, their hands have three long claws, sharp like daggers that sent chills through Roger's spine.

Labda smiled at them. "Greetings, Furies. Are you here to assist us?"

The bird women laughed.

"We are not here to help you," said the woman in the middle. "We are here to stop you!"

Cilla lowered her jaw. "What?"