thirty-eight

LIKE A flash I drew up a distance between me and Henson. My chest got heavy as my breathing got sluggish only thinking what if we had ended up kissing. Fresh tears appear in my eyes spreading inertia around me. The bitter test of guilt burns me from inside automatically turning me into a sinner. I didn't dare to look at his eyes which were burning at my way.

"Venessa." Henson called my name but I haven't given him my consciousness.

Regret was consuming me slowly like poison as if I have performed the most sinister deed which was unpardonable in the eyes of God when he didn't even touch me. Anger, pain, regret, shame and embarrassment endeavoured to crawl through my sense making me feel dizzy.

My skin was crawling with shame as I remember my Harry. I can't consider anyone except him let alone Henson. But how Henson could think of such a thing when I am his brother's wife. How could he even venture getting closer to me while thinking he could just scrounge a kiss?

Doesn't he have any common sense?

I agree that Henson is a fine man,he was attractive and beautiful. And about his talent and prudence in the business field, it was incontrovertible. He was born to be smitten by women. He has everything that a woman would want in her man.

But not me, I always envisaged him as a brother.

"Venessa, please listen to me." His voice waved behind me with the mixture of unruliness and anxiousness when he saw me getting up on my feet and dragging them at the west side of the park.

The west of the park was covered with jungle and bushes along with a long road ahead god knows how far. Hearing the rough footsteps behind me I nimbled my strides but I was harshly turned back by a strong grip which belonged to my dear brother-in-law. Till now my tears were wizening map on my cheeks proofing what a coward I was.

I should have slapped Henson across to his face printing his face black and blue but as I said I was a woman coward who was letting a serious matter glissade through her hands.

My eyes were met with Henson's beautiful drastic eyes. His jaw was set hermetically as his jaw bones were striking out dangerously. Anger boiled inside me making me wiggle my gangling wrist inside his dead grip.

"Leave me Henson." I said through my teeth in a warning tone as tears were still sliding down to my cheeks.

"Not until you are listening to me." He declared getting closer and his stormy eyes weren't leaving mine for a sec.

Now he was scaring me.

Fear rose inside me abruptly thinking what if Henson confessed something horrible and unbelievable to me. His wry motion of walking towards me was another creepy thing shaking my knees.

"What is happening?"

A wave of peace rushed through my entire body when Neona's voice hit my eardrums. I snapped my head at her way only to find out Ines and Neona standing with worried and perplexed faces. But if I clear something more vividly then Ines was practically looking sliced by a sword.

Her eyes were fixed with the bond of our hands.

Poor thing.

"Get to the car Neona, Me and Venessa are talking about something important." The relief that I felt vanished in a moment when Henson's authorized impression slipped calculatedly through his deep tone. I felt like a futile and helpless creature under his shadow of dominion. What my excuse should sound like? What is the thing I can say right now to get rid of Henson?

What am I going to tell them? that 'Neona we almost kissed now we are discussing the matter?'

"But why are you............." Neona wasn't buying any shit from Henson now as she spoke but instantly her words were butchered by her brother's furious demand.