Chapter 11

I sat up straighter on the bed, leaning forward taking the card between my fingers. Absently I ran the tip of my nail over the letters of his name and found myself smiling. He actually listened to me. That's a first. If I'd known that all it would take was for me to scream at him to be heard, I would have done it long ago. I still feel like an idiot for exposing so much of my self to him--a man that I really know nothing about aside from the basic information I gained when I went to the police. The way he just silently walked off only added to my annoyance. Not only did I personally feel like a crybaby but I'm sure he looks at me with pity now.

What if that's what this is about? These gorgeous flowers that sit beside me to win me over? Even if it is, I can't deny the fact that it's a very sweet gesture. No one has ever intentionally done something to comfort me in this way. Once again I find myself smiling before unwanted flashes of Dalton and the nights I had to endure his abuse, his touch, and watching him hurt my mother to get what he wanted out of me entered my mind. He was a monster. A sick twisted perverted monster and I can't believe how foolish I was to compare Nicolas to him. That was my issue. The whole reason why I was so resistant. Using me to get back the wife he lost seemed no different than my mother's boyfriend using me for sexual purposes. At the end of the day I still feel like I'm being used by Nicolas but now part of me is seeing that the two can't be compared.

Placing the card back on the bedside table I got up and slowly made my way to the door. After looking carefully down the hall for some unknown reason, I made my way to the room they had set up for me with the intention of taking a hot shower and to get out of my ripped clothes. Being as dark as it was I can only imagine what the cliff actually looked like but looking down at my dirt stained shirt gives me an idea. It isn't until then that I realize the throbbing and burning that was in my back and legs is completely gone. Tugging off my shirt I rushed over to the full length mirror beside the closet. Angling myself so that I could get a good view of my back I pulled my hair over my shoulder and gasped. There isn't a single scratch or mark on my back in either of the places where there is blood on my shirt. Through the ripped parts of my jeans I also notice that although dirty, my skin looks...flawless.

I must be losing my mind.

How is there blood on my clothes but no indication of where it came from? I'm unable to come up with valid explanations so as best as I can, I push it to the back of my mind and head for the shower as planned. Water has always been a calming agent for me. Every since I can remember, being near water has enabled me to clear my head and think clearly.

Underneath the hot spray soaking into my hair, easing the tension in entire body, I consider the situation before. Nicolas took a step by leaving me those flowers. Does that mean I should take one too? But how? How do you meet someone halfway when it feels like it's not really you they're wanting?

Wanting. For some reason that word echos in my ears and suddenly causes sadness to swarm me. Simone comes to mind with that word. The hopeless romantic that lurks within me finds it terribly sweet that this man has been walking the earth for centuries going from place to place just to find the soul of the woman who owns his heart. I wish he could have her back. Honestly I do but the truth is, he won't get her back through pretending with me.

Once I was finally able to pull myself from the shower I noticed a covered tray sitting on the bed with a glass of orange juice, single red rose, and a card with familiar handwriting beside it. When I pulled off the silver lid an amazing mixture of smells hit me sparking a rumble within my stomach. Steaming hot strawberry crepes topped with fresh cut strawberries and bowl of mixed tropical fruit widens my eyes, flirting with each of my senses. A lady would get dressed first then take her time eating but screw that! This smells too good to wait and I'm hungry! I flopped down on the bed still with the towel wrapped tightly around me and picked up the fork without hesitation. Within five minutes I cleaned off the entire plate and didn't feel the least bit ashamed of how I'd just gobbled the whole thing down. I can't remember the last time I ate before this nor if it was even as delicious as those crepes.