Chapter 14

I went to bed thinking about those flowers and woke up with my mind on that card.

Querida...

Where have I heard that before? Why am I hearing a certain voice in my head speaking it? At some point during the night I decided it was for the best if I stop trying to piece this together and went to sleeping with that fuzzy feeling that you get when you realize you're on someone's mind but this morning it dawned on me that...I'm on someone's mind and they know where I live. I'll admit that I was briefly in love with the idea of having a secret admirer. Who wouldn't be? Having someone go out of their way to do sweet things for you has to be every girl's dream. Being stalked, not so much. All stalking cases start out this way. It's all sugar and honey, glitter and diamonds in the beginning but then you're getting strange letters written in blood and marriage proposals or death threats.

In the back of my mind there is this voice tell me that that's not the case here but a girl who strips for a living can never be too sure. Speaking of my 'career', I'm pretty sure it is no more. If my father is Dave's Uncle then that would make Lou mine. Awkward is only one of the many words that comes to mind when I think about the fact that I was working for him. I know the kind of man he is and if the countless calls and voicemail messages that I've yet to listen to are any indication, my days of dancing are over.

I decided not to answer when he called and ignored Dave as well. A bomb like that needs a little time. I know I can't avoid it forever and don't plan to. I just need a moment to prepare myself.

I figured I'd head to the club today to clean out my station before the place fills. I'd rather get in and get out to get it over with. If I were to wait a few days...maybe a week or so from now, when I did show up to get my things there would've been too much time and speculation as to why I'm absent. Caring about what those people think of me has never been high on my list but neither has being the center of bullshit rumors.

Since the club usually opens at five, I got there around four-thirty and convinced security to let me in. I crept passed Lou's office just in case he was in there then quietly closed myself off in the back room. At first it was handfuls of anything being tossed into my bag any ole way but as I moved toward the things that sat on top of my table reality set in. What am I going to do without a job? Getting a new one with 'exotic dancer' being the only thing on my resume will surely hinder the process. Also, no matter where I go and what I do, I'll never be the bell like I was here. I loved the attention at first. I was no longer the invisible girl on the street but a jewel. Why they'd taken such a shine to me is a mystery, probably will be for the rest of my life.

The last thing to remain on my station was a small vase that I used to hold my roses. I liked to have a fresh one in my hair each night that I danced so I remembered my mother's secret to longevity for plants which was to coat the inside of the vase with vodka before adding water. Flowers that would normally wither and die lasted a week or two longer. Running my thumb along one of the deep red petals I allowed myself to reel in the beauty of it for a moment.

Suddenly images of dirt path entered my mind. Along it were bins made of wood, filled with fruits, vegetables, and grains. I felt as if I were moving along the path while things were being shouted. I kept going with my basket of apples and red roses until I came to a small grassy clearing. In it is a black stallion, grazing as his coat shines beneath the sunlight. I get the sense that I was not to go up to it yet I felt like I was drawn to it.

My steps were careful, and slow to make sure I didn't spook him but as I got to be about ten-feet from it, he began to buck and nay. Scared by the true height of this animal I tripped backwards sending everything in my basket to the ground. Before I could make contact with it however, strong arms held me securely. I looked back and up at the man holding me to find that he had the same dark eyes and hair as the man who'd rescued me before. I can see his face now. So clearly I can see the rest of his features and easily find myself attracted. Once again I'm lost in those eyes and can't help but question just how deeply those pools of chocolate run.