Chapter 6

I awakened to the sound of voices, both male seemingly engaged in a rather heated discussion. Unlike last time I had no problem opening my eyes although they were dry and sore. Running my hand up to my neck I grazed the small bumps, holding my hand over them as I sat up and slid off the bed. The room, bathed in warm dim lights looked like something out of a modern magazine with it's marble floors and fancy furniture but it failed to hold my attention as the voices grew louder.

"This is going to backfire on us!"

Despite the nagging voice in my head I pushed through the door and followed those of those men down the dark corridor. The space was wide with very few lights and sheer black curtains covering the windows. It had all the makings of a scene from scary movie as everything else in my life at the moment. A few doors down there was a light casting thin beams along the dark hardwood floor. Again, ignoring the part of me warning against going further, I inched toward it edging slowly around the corner to peak through the small gap between the door and its frame. I caught sight of Nicolas standing in front of a window covered by the same sheer black curtain with his head bowed and shoulders tensed.

"Neither of you understand." He sounded frustrated and somewhat defeated.

"Yes we do!" There was an unfamiliar male voice just as deep and dark with an accent hanging from it. "I know that it's still painful for you Nicolas. It hurts me too but you have to stop this and accept that Simone is dead." The owner of that voice, the same brunette that accompanied Nicolas the first time he came to the club stepped into my line of sight with his hands out trying to reason.

"He's right Nicolas." I recognized Roland's voice pouring in from somewhere in the room. It wasn't even a full second later before Nicolas spun around and faced the man with a fierce scowl.

"I will never accept that and as her brother you're wrong to do so Armand!"

Simone? Who the hell is Simone? Before I blacked out I remember hearing him saying wife in Spanish so could that be who he was talking about? Then again this guy just said she's dead so what exactly did Nicolas mean by things would be "discussed" when she awakened?

Armand ran his hands through his short brown curls as if he were just as frustrated as the tension in Nicolas's shoulders suggested. By the way his jaw clenched I could tell that a temper, deep anger was raging on inside of him and was about to be released. He backed up a few steps and out of instinct I moved with him trying to see what he was about to do but in doing that I stepped on what must have been a weak spot in the floor that caused a loud creaking luring their eyes toward me. I backed up a few steps planning to run back to the room as heavy footsteps advanced toward me. The door swung open revealing a very agitated looking Armand and stoic Nicolas.

"Rayne," Nicolas pushed forward turning my head to the side to exam my neck. Why I felt relaxed at the feel of his finger brushing over my wounds is beyond me but it managed to calm the rapid beating of my heart from being caught listening to their conversation. "How are you feeling?" There was genuine concern there but I didn't give an answer. Aside from the dull throbbing in my neck, my head is spinning over the fact that I was attacked by what I think to be a vampire which means I'm going insane, and I have the strangest feeling I'm being dragged into some shit I probably won't be able to walk away from. So how am I feeling really? Scared as hell and confused!

"How much did you hear?" I caught the tail end of the accent on Armand's words again and despite his obvious anger I couldn't stop my mind from trying to determine what it was.

"Enough to need an explanation." I spoke softly, looking back at him with the same annoyance he was showering me with. I don't know what I did personally to earn this look or this tone but I will not be intimidated!