Chapter 34

I watched my father stare at the now vacant spot previously occupied by Nicolas. Even as he pulled out his phone and dialed his driver to deliver the message that we were to go "home", his eyes never left that spot nor did his scowl falter. Maybe I was wrong for reading too much into it, but my lips took on a mind of their own, voicing what I was thinking.

"You still don't like us, do you?"

"What do you mean?" The displeasure creasing his brows released slightly, forming one of confusion as he ended the call and slipped s phone back into his pocket.

"Nicolas and I. You still aren't all that happy with the idea of us." My initial question which was filled with uncertainty faded into knowing the second time around. He couldn't tell me any different when the obvious was written on his face. I think he could tell from my tone that I was no longer asking, but telling him I knew.

"It's more so me wanting you to myself for a while and having to get used to him being in the picture outside of work." A small smile worked its way onto his face. He leaned back onto the table and gestured me over, but I ignored it not wanting to get too close to him. "I'm being selfish. I know all about his history--his loss and what you mean to him, but all I can think about is how I just got you. You're a grown woman, but I'm not ready to let you go."

He pulled at my heartstrings with that one. It hasn't been all that long, but we've bonded so I know exactly what he means. In some ways we're working toward a typical father daughter relationship minus the grounding me part. It makes sense to me now as it has always, that he just wants to protect me. I can almost see him trying to threaten Nicolas if he doesn't have me home before midnight to ensure it. The thought makes me giggle internally.

"Why would you have to let me go?"

My Dad smiled again adding a small chuckle with it this time, but he wasn't very amused. "You're not going to want your old man around after a while. It happens with all pups. They grow up, you grow apart, then the next thing we know I'm looking at my grandkids wondering when they got so big." Once again he sent me a smile that was lacking joy. "Grandkids I would have...if I could've given you a normal life."

"You don't have to feel regret for that, Dad. My life wasn't normal before any of this. The closest I got to that was my childhood despite Nan's condition being in the beginning stages. Mom tried to make things as normal as possible, but it was still hard on us. All too soon Dalton was in the picture. Just to escape him I slept on public benches until Lou found me. You want to know something crazy? I've always had this pull to him--like this fatherly feel from Lou then he turns out to be my Uncle."

A genuine smile was my father's first response, "You sensed each other. Our kind has this sixth sense when it comes to our kin. We can feel that someone belongs to us. That's how I knew you were mine by simply looking into your eyes. Lou probably felt your connection to me, but didn't understand it. I'm beyond grateful to him for taking you in. I honestly don't know what I would have done if one day I would've learned of your being and that you were taken from me. Probably the same way I feel about DeLeon doing the same thing."

I shouldn't have laughed, but I did with an unlady-like snort. "Dad, Nicolas is not taking me from you. Regardless, you'll always be one of the most important men in my life. He'll just have to share."

"You make sure you tell him that." he stood, straightening his clothes as usual then held his hand out to me. The whole time we were talking I could still feel the nagging need to sink my new fangs into him. At the same time I heard Nicolas' commands in my head.

"I don't know if I should." My maneuver backwards was followed by a step forward.

"I trust you not to hurt me, Rayne. Even if you do lose control and attempt to, I can take you." he winked and smile making me do the same. Being tackled by an older wolf probably isn't that funny when it's happening. The idea all around is amusing still.