Chapter 16

I sat perfectly still facing the front of the car but occasionally stole glances from Roger. Aside from the quick movement of his fingers across the screen of his phone, he made no other movements. In the back of my mind I wanted to stop this before it was too late, ask him to just let me out and come back for me after he finished taking care of whatever brought on this mood of his that currently has his face fixed into a serious expression but this feeling inside of me keeps me from speaking up. I have to go, have to be there despite not knowing exactly where "there" is. I don't know why but I have to.

His words play back to me with all the seriousness used to get his point across. It's nice to know that even though we have not known each other twenty-four hours yet he's very protective of me but in a sense it only makes me worry more. What could be ahead of us that would make him feel that he'd have to start a war over me...that somehow I would be harmed?

Trailing my tongue across my dry lips I took a deep breath to gain his attention. When his eyes lifted to mine I could see his face visible soften despite the darkness of the backseat. My shoulders dropped a little with relief. I see nothing but love in his eyes. The kind of fatherly love I've always wanted so why am I worried? Oh yeah, because his mood changed at the drop of a dime, I think I've seen him have a conversation with his eyes multiple times tonight, and on top of that he said he worked for a 'organization'. I didn't question it then nor during dinner and it's my fault for begging him to come along without having covered that.

I looked him over as he went back to doing whatever it is he's doing on his phone and took in every detail--major and minor--about his appearance. It was his style of dress that initially made me think he was into some kind of business but everything else about him says Mafia.

I laughed to myself with that thought or at least I thought I did until I saw the two men in the front look back at me while Roger looked up with a curious brow.

"Can I be in on the joke?" He said teasingly, lifting up slightly to put his phone in his back pocket. I had his full attention now and embarrassed doesn't even begin to state how I feel. Not only had they caught me having a coo coo for cocoa puffs moment but now he wanted to know what had me laughing.

"I--uh--um--" I paused feeling a little silly for even bothering to tell him this but push it out anyway, "I was just--um--thinking that when you said you work for an 'organization' earlier that you meant...the mob."

To my surprise not only did Roger laugh but the two men up front did also. I joined in with light laughter of my own that quickly died with his next words.

"Of course not Sweetheart. Illegal dealings and killing humans isn't my thing."

"Humans?" Once again I have a reaction that was meant to be in my mind only.

The two men in the front once again looked back at us but this time they looked at Roger instead of me. While they looked a little nervous he seemed to be perfectly fine with a cool smile on his face. He looked to them as if yet again he was speaking with his eyes and they turned around in their seats in unison. When Roger gave me his attention again that smile was back with a hand gently covering mine.

"Yes Rayne, humans." He said simply, pausing I guess to give me some time to let that sink in. "I was foolishly hoping I could get through the meeting first and explain things to you later but the talk needs to be had now. Shall I start from the beginning?"

I nodded slowly unsure if this was something I really wanted to know. I asked with a purpose but the inner child in me that's still giddy over having her father around now is worried that this will change everything. If he had admitted to being a part of the mob I honestly believe I would've backed away from him slightly. The fact that he said 'humans' as if he isn't one himself makes me feel that need even stronger. Either he's crazy or downing the rest of my wine was a bad idea.