Chapter Six

“ My lipstick how is it” Stephanie asked as She smacked her lips together.

“Perfect” I answered

“ Come on let go, you have been standing in front of the mirror for close to a hour, We will be late” I said frustratedly

“ Exactly that's what I want” She replied as She applied her red lipstick to her already red lips. I honestly don't understand her obsession with red. Red gown, red heels, red lips, red Dior purse. Not to talk of a wardrobe filled with mostly red clothes.

“ So that when we enter like this, everybody will just turn. Call me an attention seeker but that's what I want. I love when everyone is swayed by my appearance” Stephanie said.

“ If that's it, then count me out” I said and I marched towards the door.

“ Calm down, Evangelistic” Steph said teasingly as she picked up her purse and walked towards me, her perfume inundating the space between us.

“ Seriously Steph, I absolutely love your fashion sense and combination skills but you should really calm down on these things. You don't need other people's approval before you know you are beautiful. I, Wuraoluwa your best friend in Fortress am telling you, you are beautiful and my opinion doesn't even matter, it is your opinion about yourself that matters! Nurturing belief in yourself is fundamental and vital to your well-being, no matter what happens” I said.

“ Who told you, you are my best friend” She asked teasingly and I smiled shyly

“ I said in Fortress or am I the only one that thinks we are best friends” I asked rolling my eyes.

“ Of course not, you aren't as bad as I thought earlier” She said

“Steph” I drawled as I smacked her head playfully

“ Are you okay? Do you want to scatter my wig” She said as she patted her head.

“ Sorry, next time you wouldn't annoy me like that again” I apologized teasingly and she made a playful attempt to hit me while I dodged and laughed.

“ You will follow me to meet my brother later, he must see your makeup” She said as we got to the front of the venue for the fresher's party. I finally agreed to attend the fresher's party after Steph and my roommates practically begged and convinced me that it was going to be a harmless party, although I'm still a little nervous because it's the first party I will ever be attending in my whole seventeen years of existence asides the birthday parties of family friends and church members. Nevertheless, I informed my Dad about it and he surprisedly agreed after Steph convinced him it was going to be a neutral party, although he told me to be careful.

I smiled as I remembered when Tife was trying to get me to contest for Miss fresher, he offered words of encouragement that I mostly thought was sugar-coated, my answer was a blatant No which luckily for me, He got and didn't bother trying to convince me again. 

Steph was right, our entrance dragged a large dose of attention, I sat awkwardly as the M. C (master of ceremony) was introducing Steph as Tife's sister and all eyes were directed towards us. For the fact that we were late, I expected that we will pass one of the sides of the hall but No my dearest friend passed through the red carpet in the centre of the hall to the VIP seats Tife reserved for us.

“ My dress is even more beautiful than the people competing for Miss fresher” Steph said and I turned to look at her

“Steph” I called with a frown

“ What?” She asked.

“ You know I hate it when you talk and look down on other people and it is also a bad habit you should drop” I said and she waved me off