Chapter 27: All we need is good food

My eyes still felt heavy once I opened them. I sighed, hoping I hadn't slept for ten years... Wouldn't that be horrible? I blinked fast as my vision gradually returned to normal. My head was still spinning and I couldn't stop thinking about my mother. Was that a nightmare, or the woman who was supposed to love me tried to set me on fire? Even though I wanted to believe I'd hallucinated, I knew it was real. My heart pounded as I thought of my friends and allies. What if my mom had killed them? Despite my concern, I smiled while remembering Miguel running through the fire to rescue me... That was crazy! He could've gotten burned... Anyway, my mind was going insane. I never expected the first time I'd meet my mother would be so tragic. At least I'd woken up on Rosa's couch. Gálvez had probably taken me there while I was passed out.

Miguel approached me, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm recovering," I chuckled softly. "Since you're here, I can't be in hell."

Gálvez smiled, "A queen can never go to hell."

"I... I appreciate you saying that," I cleared my throat while praying I hadn't blushed. "Thank you for saving my life. I'll never forget it."

"I'll do it all over again if I have to," he sighed pronouncedly. "You're very important to me."

I decreased my tone of voice, "So are you..."

Stop it, Eva! Don't let your emotions take control!

My smile faded as I observed Miguel's legs and right arm. They were red and swollen. The last thing I wanted was for one of my best friends to get hurt, but the injuries couldn't be avoided. I wanted to cry... Don't judge me! I hated seeing my friends hurt.

"Did you ask someone to take care of those burns?" I touched Gálvez's injured arm. "Also, is everyone alright?"

"My mom did that already. She'll fix my torn clothes later," Miguel glanced at the wall briefly. "Everybody survived."

I sighed in relief, "Great! Even Francis?"

He nodded, "Claro que sí. Maartje saved him."

I grinned so much that I thought my cheeks would hurt. If my friends were alive and well, nothing else mattered. Although I wanted to give my mom a chance, I'd never forget she almost killed my family. Carolien was crazy, but she was still my mom. Maybe she had some good in her... or not.

"You have flour on your face," I laughed while removing the white powder from Miguel's cheeks. "What have you been doing?"

Gálvez smiled mysteriously, "Fulfilling a promise."

Everything became clear as the irresistible meat smell became stronger... How could Miguel be so awesome? That was unbelievable! Sometimes I wondered if he wasn't from another world... Well, the answer could be yes since we were from different countries.

I chuckled, "I can't believe you remembered!"

"I thought you'd like a tasty surprise once you woke up," Miguel took a step closer to the kitchen. "I've baked some empanadas and my mom is preparing sangría."

Before I could say anything, my girls came running and giggling. Their hands, face, and clothes were full of flour... Guess who'd have to deal with that mess? Not me! My headache wouldn't go away, so I deserved the rest.

Luna threw the white powder at Miguel, "You've been floured!"

Tess spread the flour everywhere by clapping, "This is war!"

Gálvez laughed while observing our daughters. I turned to him as the girls left. Miguel glanced away as if he'd guessed what I was about to say.

"You're cleaning the girls," I raised my brows. "I won't let you escape this time."