Forced Proximity.

Maddy

The semester project for one of my classes has just been assigned and I don't think I've ever been more excited to start working on assignment in my life. Being a fashion major is exciting but also difficult. Nevertheless, I make it fun for myself. Designing clothes has been a thing of mine since I can even remember. My mom always told me I would be designing different outfits in her closet, picking out dresses, shoes, pants, and shirts I think fit well with each other.

I've been making sketches for clothes since I was in high school. Since then, I've send my ideas to different designers, but I haven't heard anything back. My designs are unique, but trendy so I'm surprised I've never heard back from any fashion design company. I don't let that tear me down though. I still have a lot of work to do to get better. This has always been something I've loved to do and I won't let anyone tell me what I'm doing is not good enough or even mediocre at most.

I love clothes almost as much as I love living.

The assignment we have is designing ten different swimsuits. Five for men and five for women. I may be overly excited for the women, but men's swimsuits can be a little tricky. I don't know whether I'll make them trunks or briefs. I think I'll have to focus on the women's ones first. Maybe I'll get some kind of inspiration for the men later.

I wanted to go to the store now to buy some fabric but I have another class to go to, sadly. I start taking the shortcut to class, fast walking to get a good seat. My professor is a total drag and speaks like she's gonna get killed if she talks an octave higher. I stop in the empty, outside alley at the sight of Xander.

"I told you yes, ma. I'm fine."
"What? No. Stop asking, please. I can't believe you don't believe me."
"You don't know what I go through so don't act like you do."
"I'm doing fine. If I wasn't we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now don't you think?"
"Whatever, I have to get to my 1 o'clock. I'll text you later."

He hangs up and then shoves his phone into the front pocket of his sweats. I see his body turn so I keep walking towards where he's at with my head low. I'll try and act like I didn't just hear him raising his voice at his mom. I see his feet walking this way and I try hard to act stupid. I'm not stupid, so it's hard to do so. "She-devil," he says. I roll my eyes, but lookup. I fake smile, "Waste of space." He rolls his eyes this time. "Hilarious," he says dryly.

I flip him off as we walk right past each other. "I told you not to speak to me and I meant that," I shout slightly, not turning around. He doesn't say anything else. When I turn around, he's already gone. My mind reverts to that conversation between him and his mom. What was that about?

Wait. What? I don't even care.

I roll my eyes at my thoughts and wrap my jacket tighter around my body. I still have to look fashionably acceptable despite how cold it is. Can't it just be summer again already? The cold weather and I aren't best friends. The only good thing about the winter is the cute outfits I can put together, that's about it, really.

"Nice legs." I look up from my boots at the voice. Cgc. Just my luck. I haven't seen him since earlier this week when I.. touched myself to the image of us. Maybe we could do it again- No! I hate how flirtatious he is. I hate how it doesn't even faze him that it's me he's flirting with even more. "Thanks," I say. He shoots me a wink and then walks into his class. I hate him.

I walk faster to get to mine on time. Damn Xander and his stupid conversation with his mother that made me later than usual. Now I'll have to get through another lecture where I can't hear a single thing.

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

"Maddy!" I turn around and see Nova and Cgc. I forgot they have that class together. She fast walks towards me and loops our arms together. Cgc's long strides don't fail to catch up with us. I avoid him completely. "I'm going to buy some fabric for a class of mine, do you want to come?" I ask Nova. She nods quickly, "Ugh, yes. I need a distraction." I furrow my brows.